hands on teaching

wiley

Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:48 am

neverfoundthetime

Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:00 am

That's a yo! wiley. It is awesome here. As to your post, I always say:
If the only tool you have is a hammer; every problem looks like a nail!
So tooling up is good. Maybe thinking of having the right selection of (golf) clubs in the bag is the way to look at it.
Can I make a suggestion? If you shorten your posts, more people will read them to the end and comment. I've read two now but it's taken some self discipline to get through!
Hope you don't mind, it's the coach coming out in me.
Chris

wiley

Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:05 pm

midnight rider

Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:01 pm

I might be off base here, but I think web sites like this are great as a tool to improve your playing. I think that having a teacher and taking lessons is very valuable. My teacher has corrected many of my basic flaws. I would have not made as much progress without one on one. TG is also a very valuable tool to make progress on your guitar journey.

jayswett

Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:35 pm

I certainly agree with the notion that having some one on one teaching is useful, but as a master of the obvious, I feel obligated to point out that the costs associated with private teaching is substantial. The going rate around here is $30 for a half hour lesson, and when you compare that with the $19.95 montly cost of TG, it's almost a no brainer as far as I am concerned if it's an either/or sort of thing. I realize the main point of the original post was to have multiple tools from which to choose in striving for guitar playing perfection, and certainly if you have the money and a schedule predictable enough to allow for regular one on one lessons, it makes sense to do both. Sadly, I have neither, so I will continue to rely on the helpful comments of other TG members with regard to my posted videos.

Chasplaya

Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:10 pm

My Tuppence worth as a Trainer, I don't doubt you can beat the face to face situation, but as mentioned sometimes the cost is prohibitive. Now with TG I think you get fairly close to face to face with the live webinars and the feedback Neil posts about some of the vides. Then on top of that the members chip in and provide advice based on personal experience. So all in all its almost face to face in the virtual world. And I guess this site still being in its infancy will only get better.

Rock on TG'rs

Chas

AndyT

Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:20 pm

Chas beat me to it, but we have here at TG the virtual one-on-one lesson. Neil watches your video and leaves his own video to comment on it. (I'm looking forward to his comments on mine actually)

Also, I think that the TG team is working on a method where we can turn on our webcams and have a live video session with Neil online! Talk about a one-on-one!

And all for the mere pittance of $19.95 each month.

Music Junkie

Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:45 am

I will echo what Chas and Andy have said. I am fortunate enough to do both currently. While the private lessons run about $100.00 to $125.00 a month, it is nice to get feedback in a live situation. Also you get to ask direct questions and get instant answers. You get instant pointers on mechanics as well.

That being said, the lessons that Neil presents as darn near as good as being there. The way he breaks them down, answers many of the questions before you would have a chance to ask them. $20.00/mo is a sweet price as well. Also, throw in the forum, the groups and the TG Live shows and you have a great resource to improve your playing by many degrees. Keep in mind too, that the site is growing and changing weekly. We have had some great people coming out of the shadows lately and they seem to have some experience. I find that listening to all these folks really makes me feel better about my playing (hearing what problems they had or are having and seeing that I am not the only one).

If things get too tight for me, i can honestly say that the private lessons will go and TG will stay.

Another shout out to all the TG staff and to all of you here in the community.

MJ Image

neverfoundthetime

Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:15 am

The total package here at TG (I get Bear, Chas, Andy, Tovo, Al, MJ, Heyjoe, Wrench, Barb, Suzie, Rick, Ric, Revier, Carbo, Willem's and all the others' antics and in-puts and feedback free) with Neil's teaching is better for me than live teaching. As Al points out in his (soon to be) prize winning video, you can rewind and pick up where you left off and have teaching any time of day or night. To be honest, I don't want to have teaching from anyone else after seeing how Neil does it. I'm mostly self taught in everything I've learned but when I choose a tutor or mentor, only the best is good enough for me! Life is too short to drink poor wine.

wiley

Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:38 am

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic