Recording devices

reiver

Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:25 am

Don't know if this is in the right place - but the teacher did suggest that we record ourselves, so I thought I'd share this little device. It appears to be a reasonbly inexpensive way of allowing us to record some music in mp3 format - maybe even our own compositions. It attaches directly to an ipod or iphone - which many of us will already own.

The video section is quite educational.........

http://www.bluemic.com/mikey/

The additional software (4track?) for the itouch is about $10, i think.

Would like to know if this sound can be synchronized with a video recording. Asked in the techie group - but no response. Maybe one of you can help?

r

AndyT

Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:58 am

Did not see your post on the Techie side. As long as the video and the audio were made at the same time then they can be synched together.

RicksPick

Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:35 pm

Hi Reiver

Interesting microphone and cool gadget.
Andy is right, easy to do with the right software.

But for the price a good webcam can be had
Yes the sound may be better than webcam but all the extra time to edit and match audio to video, extra software maybe and 1 hour plus start to finish of project.

I'm currently looking at getting a webcam and mike up guitar to plug directly into pc, so any videoing for TG is quick and easy, as suggested by the techie

RicksPick

TGSuzanne

Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:51 pm

I have been wanting to record myself as well, I figured it would be a good learning tool and maybe I won't be as critical of myself. I just bought a Zoom H2 pulled it out of the box yesterday but haven't had a chance to test it out. After I run it a while, if anyone is interested, I give my review of it.

Mike

reiver

Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:01 pm

Was thinking more about the additional capacity to multi-track. That would make recording much more interesting, I'd have thought.

r

TGSuzanne

Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:21 pm

You can record to your computer if you wish.
If you have Garage Band or Audacity (free download) this is easy.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

All you need to do is have either a USB mic

or USB Guitar interface

And you can record multi-track (up to 8 tracks, I think) and bounce down to a .wav file that can be turned into an mp3 in iTunes
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

This a very inexpensive way to explore writing songs, recording, singing harmonies, working out multiple parts, etc.

TGSuzanne

Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:24 pm

I forgot to mention that with Audacity, you can change the pitch and speed of a tune, which is very helpful if you are trying to find a good key to sing in or if you want to practice a guitar lick at a slower speed with a recording.

goldleaf

Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:48 pm

reiver wrote:
Was thinking more about the additional capacity to multi-track. That would make recording much more interesting, I'd have thought.

r
r, I was checking out the web-site and called the store, the mikie was $80 and connects to your Ipod which you would connect to your pc itunes. They have a "Snowball" mic that connects to your USB the sales dude suggested Audacity or any compatable recording software, they also have a upgraded mic "Yetti" for $150 has a cardaroid, uniderectional or omnidirectional & other adjustments you connect to your pc as above. From what Suzanne just posted Audacity would allow you to have several tracks going at the same time you can change the tempo w/o changing the pitch. What aspect of these were you looking for. I am interested in being able to play guitar record, then sing over what I played. Gary

goldleaf

Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:57 pm

tgsuzanne wrote:
You can record to your computer if you wish.
If you have Garage Band or Audacity (free download) this is easy.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

All you need to do is have either a USB mic

or USB Guitar interface

And you can record multi-track (up to 8 tracks, I think) and bounce down to a .wav file that can be turned into an mp3 in iTunes
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

This a very inexpensive way to explore writing songs, recording, singing harmonies, working out multiple parts, etc.
Suzanne, with a USB mic and Audacity, did you say you could record on several tracks, like play guitar chords, then sing on another trac and blend them together. Do you have to go to iTunes or can you take you multi track (guitar chords & singing) and download the song to YouTunes for upload to TG. Gary

reiver

Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:15 pm

goldleaf wrote:
reiver wrote:

r
r, I was checking out the web-site and called the store, the mikie was $80 and connects to your Ipod which you would connect to your pc itunes. They have a "Snowball" mic that connects to your USB the sales dude suggested Audacity or any compatable recording software, they also have a upgraded mic "Yetti" for $150 has a cardaroid, uniderectional or omnidirectional & other adjustments you connect to your pc as above. From what Suzanne just posted Audacity would allow you to have several tracks going at the same time you can change the tempo w/o changing the pitch. What aspect of these were you looking for. I am interested in being able to play guitar record, then sing over what I played. Gary
Gary

I liked the idea of a compact system using only an ipod and a mic - very portable. I realise that alternative systems are available for pc/laptop - this just seemed a bit different and I though that people may find it interesting. You certainly seem to have done your homework on it.

For myself - I'm not much of a singer, but I like the idea of recording a fuller version of some of he songs here at TG - adding a basic percussion or additional rhythm tracks. Maybe even a bit of lead.......well, maybe not that far.

r

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic