what key is this in?

AndyT

Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:20 am

Ric or Suzanne. She is the TG theory teacher right?

rcsnydley

Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:27 am

AndyT wrote:
Then why does it fit very nicely when I played it in D?
D# actually....
Andy, D# or D#m? D#m is in the key. What other chords are you using?

Ric

neverfoundthetime

Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:45 am

Andy, do I have to come in there and remove the karma you got for getting it wrong?!
Karma wars, here we come! ;-)
No, seriously, this is really hard to hear. That D is a Dm# to my ear and I find myself playing a G# and A# in the main part too (Reiver's hearing those too). But, what do I know! Ric may be much closer, as a keyboarder, he's going to get this better than with guitar.

rcsnydley

Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:29 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Andy, do I have to come in there and remove the karma you got for getting it wrong?!
Karma wars, here we come! ;-)
No, seriously, this is really hard to hear. That D is a Dm# to my ear and I find myself playing a G# and A# in the main part too (Reiver's hearing those too). But, what do I know! Ric may be much closer, as a keyboarder, he's going to get this better than with guitar.
I hear the G# also, Chris, I just hear it as a minor chord as opposed to a major chord. I'll have to give the A# a try, perhaps it is borrowed from a nearby key.

Ric

Hydroman52

Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:36 pm

This is where the Circle of Fifths can come in really handy, I think. It shows that the keys of B (rel min = G#m) has 5 sharps, the key of F# (rel min D#m) has 6. They are very close key signatures, and so have many chords in common. I haven't listened to the song nor tried to figure out the key, but based on all of the notes/chords being thrown out it seems like this is likely the F#/D#m pair -- if it feels like it resolves to the note D#, you have the likely answer. Another possible test: which of these notes -- E or F -- fits with the song? 'E' suggests the B/G#m pair, 'F' suggests F#/D#m.

These are, funny enough, the same keys we were bantering back and forth in the other thread of Matt's where he was looking for the key for a lead riff he had.

Hope that helps...

neverfoundthetime

Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:11 pm

... in search of the lost chord.... ;-)

jayswett

Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:14 pm

rcsnydley wrote:
I should have said G#m, if you play the B and G#m they both sound like they fit in. Try going from B to G#m.

The chords in the key of B are; B, C#m, D#m, E, F#, G#m, A#dim. Try these chords and see how they work.

Ric
Based on my admittedly limited understanding of theory, I would have thought the chords in the key of B would be B, Cminor, Dminor, E, F, Gminor, and Adim. Why are the sharps added to C, D, F, G and Adim? Actually, don't answer that, I will take it upon myself to figure that out on my own.

rcsnydley

Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:53 pm

fjvdb wrote:
This is where the Circle of Fifths can come in really handy, I think. It shows that the keys of B (rel min = G#m) has 5 sharps, the key of F# (rel min D#m) has 6. They are very close key signatures, and so have many chords in common. I haven't listened to the song nor tried to figure out the key, but based on all of the notes/chords being thrown out it seems like this is likely the F#/D#m pair -- if it feels like it resolves to the note D#, you have the likely answer. Another possible test: which of these notes -- E or F -- fits with the song? 'E' suggests the B/G#m pair, 'F' suggests F#/D#m.

These are, funny enough, the same keys we were bantering back and forth in the other thread of Matt's where he was looking for the key for a lead riff he had.

Hope that helps...
I hear B, G#m, D#m chords and when I play notes it is B, C#, D#, E, F#, G#.

Ric

rcsnydley

Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:55 pm

jayswett wrote:
rcsnydley wrote:
I should have said G#m, if you play the B and G#m they both sound like they fit in. Try going from B to G#m.

The chords in the key of B are; B, C#m, D#m, E, F#, G#m, A#dim. Try these chords and see how they work.

Ric
Based on my admittedly limited understanding of theory, I would have thought the chords in the key of B would be B, Cminor, Dminor, E, F, Gminor, and Adim. Why are the sharps added to C, D, F, G and Adim? Actually, don't answer that, I will take it upon myself to figure that out on my own.
Jay, did you figure this out?

Ric

jayswett

Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:25 pm

Not yet. Just got home from work.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic