What to play

pineappletrain

Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:09 pm

Thank you everybody for your responses it really helps :)

WOW what a preformense from the guy playing Bon Jovi it would love to learn how to play that, might take a wile though ahahahah so better start now. Yes the tab would be really nice to have.
And thank you wilson you got some great videos in there
and ill defenetly check out all the other songs you guys have recomended

Im just wondering whats the deal with a thumb pick, do you really need one i mean, cant you just use your norman thumb instead or is there some sort of advantage with using a thumb pick ?

AndyT

Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:14 pm

Marc,
Was that you playing the Bon Jovi? Man, that was freakin great! I love it!

Chasplaya

Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:27 pm

AndyT wrote:
Marc,
Was that you playing the Bon Jovi? Man, that was freakin great! I love it!
It is Tomi Paldanius methinks. He runs a guitar school.

cosmicmechanic

Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:31 pm

"Im just wondering whats the deal with a thumb pick, do you really need one i mean, cant you just use your norman thumb instead or is there some sort of advantage with using a thumb pick ?"

Most folks pick the strings with their nails. And it seems that Neil can use his thumb nail on the base. But if you use the flesh of your thumb, you get a different sound. The thumb pick is like an artificial "hang nail" to get a more distinct thump. And I LIKE a distinct THUMP! LOL And it's especially useful if you also mute the base sometimes for the "boom chick" affect...

[video][/video]

haoli25

Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:35 pm

He is good! That is Tomi Paldanius. He is a guitar instructor in Finland. I have seen several of his videos on YouTube.

Bill

haoli25

Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:45 pm

Here is Tomi with another Bon Jovi song.

Bill

pineappletrain

Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:50 pm

Hahaha the boom chick affekt, nice name there.

AndyT

Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:19 pm

Tomi is very good. It figures he's a teacher. LOL

Lavallee

Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:52 pm

Bill and Chas, of course, I knew it was Tomi who played livin on a prayer. I had written his name at first in my post but edited my text to remove his name when I found out that he teaches , by respect to the TG site.

Andy, no this this not me but I am starting working on it. Maybe in 6 months I might be able to do something. That base line with the picking is challenging, somewhat like Rhiannon. The strumming is fun too.

Pineappletrain, you said you played classical gas and were asking something challenging. Regarding the thumb pick, I think it is a good song for it since the base line is fairly quick with the thumb. Anyway, I am giving it a shot. I am trying to find the thumbpick Bear mentionned a few months ago (Zookie). I have some National, but I do not feel comfortable with them.

Marc

haoli25

Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:16 am

Yep, there are several really good guitar instructors on YouTube. There is even some guy out in California that is pretty fair too. :blush:

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic