THE LONER ...NEIL YOUNG

Chasplaya

Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:01 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
willem wrote:
Hello all,,,who can tell me the meaning behind this song....whats the story??
According to Stephen Stills it is autobiographical, i.e. about Neil Young. JOni Mitchell also wrote about "Sugar Mountain" the B side to the Loner that it was written around the time Neil Young turned 21 and was now to old to be permitted into a certain club

Mitchell: "In 1965 I was up in Canada, and there was a friend of mine up there who had just left a rock'n'roll band (...) he had just newly turned 21, and that meant he was no longer allowed into his favorite hangout, which was kind of a teeny-bopper club and once you're over 21 you couldn't get in there anymore; so he was really feeling terrible because his girlfriends and everybody that he wanted to hang out with, his band could still go there, you know, but it's one of the things that drove him to become a folk singer was that he couldn't play in this club anymore. But he was over the hill.
I've read a heap of stuff about Neil Young song meanings and this one I think many get way to deep, I think Joni Mitchell got it right, its about a relatively immature young man realising he is getting on and having to leave part of his youth behind and that he can't go back there, simple as that. And with Stills stating its autobiographical the time it was written circa same time as other songs i.e. Sugar mountain which was defintiely about difficulty about getting older (21!!) then I think the plot reveals itself..

willem

Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:02 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
willem wrote:
Hello all,,,who can tell me the meaning behind this song....whats the story??
According to Stephen Stills it is autobiographical, i.e. about Neil Young. JOni Mitchell also wrote about "Sugar Mountain" the B side to the Loner that it was written around the time Neil Young turned 21 and was now to old to be permitted into a certain club

Mitchell: "In 1965 I was up in Canada, and there was a friend of mine up there who had just left a rock'n'roll band (...) he had just newly turned 21, and that meant he was no longer allowed into his favorite hangout, which was kind of a teeny-bopper club and once you're over 21 you couldn't get in there anymore; so he was really feeling terrible because his girlfriends and everybody that he wanted to hang out with, his band could still go there, you know, but it's one of the things that drove him to become a folk singer was that he couldn't play in this club anymore. But he was over the hill.

Many thanks to you to Chas,,you know a lot,,now i understand the loner more and more,,,,its like TG,,WHEN you 70 you must leave..lol....can you explain..''but he was over the hill''

Chasplaya

Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:04 pm

Willem go back read my edit to the last post.

Chas :)

willem

Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:16 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
Willem go back read my edit to the last post.

Chas :)
I'm glad he didn't became a loner for the years after,, he was very productive..... or is that a life as a loner.... on the ranch....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic