THE LONER ...NEIL YOUNG

willem

Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:49 pm

Hello all,,,who can tell me the meaning behind this song....whats the story??

wadestar

Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:34 pm

It is just about loner stuff, and how to spot them and how they try to hide from society. The different types of loner shit that happens.

dennisg

Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:57 pm

Willem,

A "loaner" is someone who prefers to be alone, someone who, for whatever reason, isn't comfortable around other people.

- Dennis

willem

Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:21 am

dennisg wrote:
Willem,

A "loner" is someone who prefers to be alone, someone who, for whatever reason, isn't comfortable around other people.

- Dennis
Thanks Dennis,,i thought that was,,hope to get some more explain of the song lyrics.....

willem

Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:24 am

wadestar wrote:
It is just about loner stuff, and how to spot them and how they try to hide from society. The different types of loner shit that happens.
Thanks Wadestar,,,don't hide..lol....were friends now!!!

wrench

Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:43 am

willem wrote:
Hi Willem,

I just looked at the words to this song, and while I agree with the definition of a loner as a person who does not like to be around other people, the lyrics in verse 3 suggest that he became a loner after his girl left him.
Verse 3
There was a woman he knew about a year or so ago
She had something that he needed and he pleaded with her not to go
On the day that she left, he died but it did not show
It's a shame the song has a sad meaning because it is really so much fun to play, and I am inspired to play it with so much energy because of the melancholy, but heavy sound of the double drop D tuning.

wrench

willem

Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:00 pm

wrench wrote:
willem wrote:
Hi Willem,

I just looked at the words to this song, and while I agree with the definition of a loner as a person who does not like to be around other people, the lyrics in verse 3 suggest that he became a loner after his girl left him.
Verse 3
There was a woman he knew about a year or so ago
She had something that he needed and he pleaded with her not to go
On the day that she left, he died but it did not show
It's a shame the song has a sad meaning because it is really so much fun to play, and I am inspired to play it with so much energy because of the melancholy, but heavy sound of the double drop D tuning.

wrench
Thanks Dan,,i try to get some feeling and want to know what the story is,,so he died after she leaves,,he died not realy but he became loner...??

Chasplaya

Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:32 pm

willem wrote:
According to Stephen Stills it is autobiographical, i.e. about Neil Young. JOni Mitchell also wrote about "Sugar Mountain" the B side to the Loner that it was written around the time Neil Young turned 21 and was now to old to be permitted into a certain club

Mitchell: "In 1965 I was up in Canada, and there was a friend of mine up there who had just left a rock'n'roll band (...) he had just newly turned 21, and that meant he was no longer allowed into his favorite hangout, which was kind of a teeny-bopper club and once you're over 21 you couldn't get in there anymore; so he was really feeling terrible because his girlfriends and everybody that he wanted to hang out with, his band could still go there, you know, but it's one of the things that drove him to become a folk singer was that he couldn't play in this club anymore. But he was over the hill.

dennisg

Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:36 pm

Willem,

I just looked at the lyrics for the first time. Neil Young's use of the word "died" is a metaphor for the disappearance of the hope and promise in the man's life. When the woman left him, he became dark and turned inward, feeling that the best way to protect himself in the future is to avoid contact with other people so that he can't be hurt again.

- Dennis

willem

Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:53 pm

dennisg wrote:
Willem,

I just looked at the lyrics for the first time. Neil Young's use of the word "died" is a metaphor for the disappearance of the hope and promise in the man's life. When the woman left him, he became dark and turned inward, feeling that the best way to protect himself in the future is to avoid contact with other people so that he can't be hurt again.

- Dennis
yES Dennis, i think the story is coming along now,,but life alway's goin on isn't,,but i like this kind of sentiment,, IS that DADGBD sound ment for sadness or suport the voice,,, i like DADGBD....but i have one guitar...thanks..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic