I'll Follow the Sun

ffsooo3

Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:38 pm

Still trying to figure out ProTools. This one has double tracked rhythm guitars, a lead track, a melody track, a midi-bass track, and a midi-drum track. Still not perfect but I sure am having fun!

Craig

Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:55 pm

How! That is GREAT! Nice work. I'm still trying to figure out how to use my cam-corder :P
Craig

Lavallee

Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:15 pm

Still trying to figure out ProTools. This one has double tracked rhythm guitars, a lead track, a melody track, a midi-bass track, and a midi-drum track. Still not perfect but I sure am having fun!

FFS003, That sounds very good, you made an excellent track. It looks like an excellent project to work on.

I know that Jay worked with Audacity. Am I correct in saying that Audacity should do a similar job as ProTools. I never played with either. Where do you get the backing tracks and MIDI files to accompany your own tracks?

Marc

ffsooo3

Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:31 pm

Lavallee wrote:

FFS003, That sounds very good, you made an excellent track. It looks like an excellent project to work on.

I know that Jay worked with Audacity. Am I correct in saying that Audacity should do a similar job as ProTools. I never played with either. Where do you get the backing tracks and MIDI files to accompany your own tracks?

Marc
Thanks Marc. Yes, Audacity will do a similar job. But ProTools is VERY powerful. Protools has tons of "plug-ins" where, for example, I can take my sweet acoustic track and make it sound like it's coming from a stack of Marshall amps cranked up to 10 with a wahwah flanger and delay hooked in (all without destroy the original sweet sounding acoustic recording). Regarding the backing tracks (bass and drums): I made them myself within ProTools. ProTools allows you to write midi stuff as if you are actually playing the instrument. Since I don't have a bass guitar or keyboards, I just "scored" the bass track and told ProTools to play the notes using a "virtual base guitar". I could easily have ProTools play the score with say a church organ, a sitar, a clarinet, AND a trumpet, and then apply all sorts of effects. I'm having a ball with it!

tovo

Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:01 pm

It's nice. If you can mix a version where you play the church organ, a sitar, a clarinet, AND a trumpet....well I'll be REALLY impressed! :)

Lavallee

Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:33 am

ffsooo3 wrote:
Lavallee wrote:

Marc
Thanks Marc. Yes, Audacity will do a similar job. But ProTools is VERY powerful. Protools has tons of "plug-ins" where, for example, I can take my sweet acoustic track and make it sound like it's coming from a stack of Marshall amps cranked up to 10 with a wahwah flanger and delay hooked in (all without destroy the original sweet sounding acoustic recording). Regarding the backing tracks (bass and drums): I made them myself within ProTools. ProTools allows you to write midi stuff as if you are actually playing the instrument. Since I don't have a bass guitar or keyboards, I just "scored" the bass track and told ProTools to play the notes using a "virtual base guitar". I could easily have ProTools play the score with say a church organ, a sitar, a clarinet, AND a trumpet, and then apply all sorts of effects. I'm having a ball with it!
That seems like an excellent tool. But since I am not really aware yet of what I need , I think I will try with audacity for now with the idea that ProTools can do much more.

Thanks

Marc

AndyT

Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:23 am

With Guitar Pro 5 and its RSE and Audacity, I can create a full orchestra behind me.

The days of needing a massive studio are over. Computers and inexpensive software have more than bridged the gap.

ffsooo3

Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:24 am

tovo wrote:
It's nice. If you can mix a version where you play the church organ, a sitar, a clarinet, AND a trumpet....well I'll be REALLY impressed! :)
Well, I didn't like the sounds of the sitar, clarinet, and trumpet (I guess they really don't play well in the bass guitar range!), so I mixed a version with an organ, strings, clavinets, and kalimba for you. I didn't change anything in the ProTools tracks (no new tracks, no new recordings, etc.) except I told ProTools to not use the bass guitar "instrument" and to use the 4 new ones instead....

tovo

Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:47 am

I meant with you actually playing all of those instruments.....and I was joking. ;) I liked the mix you did initially and the new one is interesting. I agree it's amazing what can be mixed on the desktop now. Very powerful tools.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic