The songwriting journal challenge

izzyhara

Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:54 pm

I'd like to propose a challenge.

Your job, and mine is to keep a journal of song ideas for a week. Monday to Monday. You can write them down on paper, text msg them to yourself, email them, whatever, but you have to write them down as they occur to you.

Why? I used to do it all the time, but I've gotten out of the habit. As a result, I've forgotten more good song ideas than I've written down.

So who is up for it?

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:02 pm

Hmmmm, that's a cool idea Nick. It will definitely help someone here to come up with a song or two. I may go along with it.... but I have so much to do right now and I find I can come up with a song when the idea is there and the mood is there and then I have to grow it there and then.... so it's very sporadic.

nemastetaylor

Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:14 pm

Well if you take five seconds to write them down, when you are in the mood or have the time you can read them and work on them. That's the point. Think of how many good ideas you lose because you don't have time right now to work on them.

All you have to do is collect ideas, not write songs.

The idea can be one line of a song, a cool rhyme, line, hook, chorus, or just the title.

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:16 pm

Sure, that is fair comment and as I said, it will help people here to write some songs, no doubt.

tovo

Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:19 pm

I'll collect some ideas. I'm in. Gotta warn you though, some weird stuff goes on inside my head. What shall I do with them at the end of the week?

tovo

Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:22 pm

How about this, pick any song you already know from TG, make up a new melody and write your own words for it. Video the result and post it here.

It's just an experiment. No recording contracts will be issued.

Let's keep the original song secret too.

Chasplaya

Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:24 pm

tovo wrote:
I'll collect some ideas. I'm in. Gotta warn you though, some weird stuff goes on inside my head. What shall I do with them at the end of the week?
That sure is a big head! Must be some big ideas bouncing round in that cranium mate!

Not a bad idea Nick, i've never really got into writing original songs , I have worked out new lyrics to existing ones from time to time.

tovo

Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:30 pm

So let's collect ideas for a week and next weekend everyone can put together their collection into a rewrite of a song here on TG.

It will be fun to see what everyone puts together.

I don't see that there would be any harm in a 2 person collaboration since everyone can PiP now, :laugh:

tovo

Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:34 pm

wandoctor wrote:
So let's collect ideas for a week and next weekend everyone can put together their collection into a rewrite of a song here on TG.

It will be fun to see what everyone puts together.

I don't see that there would be any harm in a 2 person collaboration since everyone can PiP now, :laugh:
SO...take a TG song and rewrite the lyrics? Is that the idea? (sorry Nick...folks are pretty dumb where I come from).

Chasplaya

Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:42 pm

Exactly. I think melody too would be cool, but if you can't do that, just the lyrics.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic