Forget the notes, just play.

AndyT

Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:08 am

I would really love to hear what all of you (ESPECIALLY Neil) thinks of this.

Today I had my usual Sunday class of beginners. They said they were getting frustrated because they couldn't make various chords.
While one of them was telling us her story, I began softly playing an accompaniment to it by playing minor chords with slow strumming when her story went into a "sad" section, and then I played major chords with some finger picking when she was in "happy" parts. I played the emotions she was telling us as she expressed it.

After she was done, the question was asked how I knew what to play to match her mood and emotion. (They thought it was really cool that I did that too.) I began to explain that when I practice, I forget about the notes and the sheet music and simply play chords, strumming or fingerpicking that matches the mood I'm in. Then I told them that I don't care if they never learn how to finger a G chord every way possible, I'd rather they gain the ability to play their emotions and feelings and that is what "real" music is made of in the first place.

They grabbed onto this and began to run with it, making actual improv music right there on the spot and they only know A C D E Em and G chords. It was very cool and they were amazed at what they could actually do.

izzyhara

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:23 am

Well I do hope you get a reply from Neil. But you did these kids such a service. It's one thing to know the mechanics - we all need that. But then you have to "feel" the music for sure, in order to be an effective guitar player. You took those young brains that were so frustrated with learning to play, and opened their eyes to making music. Well done. Almost made me cry.....

AndyT

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:43 am

Izzy,

Thanks. My students are about the same age range as this site. Most of them are in the mid 30s to late 40s bracket. I only have 1 child right now and she is 10. My oldest is an 87 year old man.

willem

Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:39 pm

Yeah Andy,, you served that has well,,,, that was ''talking with Music'' great job..

BigBear

Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:23 pm

Andy- I think you hit on an important concept; that people connect to music on many different levels. I know personally when I'm happy I tend to listen to music in major chords and faster tempos. When I'm blue I definately seek out the Am ballads and slower more thoughtful pieces. I suspect we all do that to some extent.

Cheers! :cheer:

tovo

Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:49 pm

Andy 10 to 87 is a fair spread of age! I think that is cool. Well done for bringing the joy of music to your group.

ncsurfer

Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:12 pm

Thanks Andy, you hit the nail on the head for me. I find that when I'm loosened up "emotionally" I play much better than if I'm tense, concentrating, and holding things in either deliberately or unconsciously. The same goes for me whatever I'm at work, surfing, or trying to program my VCR so it's not limited to my guitar sessions. A good life lesson, thanks!

Music Junkie

Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:11 pm

Andy:

I think that is a great idea. Anytime someone can connect to the music, it just gets easier to play. Also, if you can feel the music or the mood, it becomes much easier to sing along while you are playing.

Kudos to you and I am glad to hear that you are sharing your love of guitar with others..... :)

AndyT

Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:57 am

Thanks everyone.

Willem, Thank you my friend! 'Talking with music' is a great practice game I think!

Bear, I think that holds true for 95% of us, only most don't realize that's what they are doing.

Tony, Thanks! I do my best to help them discover the music inside of them.

Surfer, Yeah, I know just what you mean. Sometimes I have to play some pent up stuff out of me before I can really focus on what I want and need to practice.

MJ, I think it makes it easier to write as well. Once you have the emotion and lyric, you can fit music to it much easier.

I had really good results teaching them this so I'm going to add it to my base pack of lessons.

Chasplaya

Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:43 pm

Great stuff Andy, just get them to join up with the TARGET programme and that commission will start rolling in lol

Serious good work mate!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic