Voices in the Sky - how they change over time

pbraun

Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:55 pm

I saw McCartney this past September and while there is no way he is as good as he was in the 70 -80's his voice was very strong this past year. He seemed to spread his concerts out enough to allow the voice to mend. At any rate he was even better this time than in 05. It also helps to have a great band to back you up!
I seem to remember Elton having throat surgery years ago maybe in late 80's?
Pete

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:04 pm

I came to an Aha! moment a few years ago regarding singing and it changed my vocal abilities for the better. Will it deteriorate with age maybe, but I plan on exercising it to try to keep it in good shape.
Oh, yeah, Ric you HAVE to let us in on that aha moment, if it's not imposing upon you!

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:39 pm

Sometimes it's just a note or a phrase or a line that works with a voice so well. In Aquarius, the opening line is perfect with "When the moon..". just that sound alone works for me:

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:45 pm

I can't listen to Eva Cassidy without being close to tears instantly. Her voice carries so much more than the lyrics or melody or feel of the song. This is what I mean about the voice being like the glove of the soul. Just listen to this live performance. She gets up on stage and the guitar intro sets the mood perfectly and then by the first phrase she transports us to somewhere else, almost not of this world. What an incredible voice and talent!

dennisg

Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:54 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I can't listen to Eva Cassidy without being close to tears instantly. Her voice carries so much more than the lyrics or melody or feel of the song. This is what I mean about the voice being like the glove of the soul. Just listen to this live performance. She gets up on stage and the guitar intro sets the mood perfectly and then by the first phrase she transports us to somewhere else, almost not of this world. What an incredible voice and talent!
I've never heard her before, and all I can say is, "Wow!" She's incredible, and I can see why you'd think this performance is so moving.

tovo

Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:06 pm

Wow, I got shivers when she started to sing. Awesome. Such a wonderful video as well, so intimate you feel like you are in the room watching the performance. Another artist I don't really know that well, thanks for the tip Chris, I'll check out more of her work.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:09 pm

For Dennis and Tony and everyone else who's interest has been touched... two killer songs from Eva.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:12 pm

Many people swear this is THE Eva Cassidy song:

rcsnydley

Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:47 pm

goldleaf wrote:
rc, that Aha moment that helped improve your singing, would you please share it with us that are just starting to give a little more thought to adding singing along with our guitar playing but still lack a lot of the basic knowledge on how to use & improve our voice. I would appreciate any tips you may have. Gary
I'm not really sure how to describe it, but I'll try.

I think there really was a couple of things, one was moving my breath from my chest to my stomach and opening the back of my palate to allow more resonance.

I push out with my stomach and lower extremities almost like I was going to have a bowel movement. I know it sounds funny, but that is actually the technique.

I don't know how to tell you how to open the back of your throat. When I hit upon it I kept doing it so I could memorize how it felt then I just sort of reproduce that feeling. Sort of like singing a melody over and over again until you have it down.

I hope this helps, I know it's kind of vague, but it just hit me one day and I went "wow" where did that come from. I was always a pretty good singer, but I think this took me to the next level as they say.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:02 pm

Thanks for that Ric... I know what you mean, sometimes when something goes "click" it's hard to verbalise it. I once went to a course to supposedly improve the voice. After an introductory lesson where we did nothing and learned less we all had to buy an elastic bow tie and wear it around our necks next week... we did and spent 40 minutes moving our Adam's apple up and down. I stopped going and got my money back!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic