Voices in the Sky - how they change over time

BRBbrb

Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:29 am

Have to mention my Stevie, Stevie Nicks, she isn't what she once was either. But like Chris mentioned; the voice is the soul - I still love her essence so I still listen. You have to give it to Robert Plant who's been pressured heavily to reunite with the mightly Zep. He says he just can't do a 2 hr. rock show anymore; so he refrains! BTW: glad to hear Sade's back. ;)

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:36 am

... and this maybe a little "special" but I thought Something's Gotten Hold of MY Heart from Gene Pitney was originally a great song but together with Marc Almond it's a real hammer song. Two very different but fantastic voices:

Have to mention my Stevie, Stevie Nicks, she isn't what she once was either. But like Chris mentioned; the voice is the soul - I still love her essence so I still listen. You have to give it to Robert Plant who's been pressured heavily to reunite with the mighty Zep. He says he just can't do a 2 hr. rock show anymore; so he refrains! BTW: glad to hear Sade's back.
Man, you've got to hand it to Plant for NOT coming back then, how hard must that be.

dennisg

Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:47 am

I'm happy that you posted that wonderful Righteous Brothers tune. The fact that they were very successful despite being two crooners in tuxedoes with short hair in an era when long hair dominated music is a testimony to how great their voices were. They've been forgotten by a lot of people. Too bad.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:51 am

dennisg wrote:
I'm happy that you posted that wonderful Righteous Brothers tune. The fact that they were very successful despite being two crooners in tuxedoes with short hair in an era when long hair dominated music is a testimony to how great their voices were. They've been forgotten by a lot of people. Too bad.
Dennis, what a song that was! I believe it still holds the record for being the most played song of all time on American radio. What would I give to be able to sing that in some form or other... I've got the chords and I keep stabbing at it... man that would be a blast!

dennisg

Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:11 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
dennisg wrote:
Dennis, what a song that was! I believe it still holds the record for being the most played song of all time on American radio. What would I give to be able to sing that in some form or other... I've got the chords and I keep stabbing at it... man that would be a blast!
The closest I've come is to sing it at a karaoke bar. Bobby Hatfield I'm not.

haoli25

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:03 pm

BRBbrb wrote:
You have to give it to Robert Plant who's been pressured heavily to reunite with the mightly Zep. He says he just can't do a 2 hr. rock show anymore; so he refrains!

"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry Callahan from "Magnum Force" (1973)

:)

Bill

tovo

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:38 pm

This is a really good thread Chris.

Lisa a think Whitney Houston had a magnificent voice at one point. Masses of drugs haven't been kind.

Yet another artist who's voice I think has held up pretty well despite a ton of abuse is Lindsay Buckingham. Chas saw FM just recently so I'd be interested in his opinion on that but the Youtube stuff I have seen of Lindsay, he still sounds great to me.

willem

Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:04 pm

Some discusions are so nice to follow.. i like some reminders to great singing songs and great singers,, pity some lost there voices over the years,, hope that Jim the singing coach have some great tips how to be carefull with that or to build it up for the younger under us,, or what's is left to our vioce,,, thanks guy's

BigBear

Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:22 pm

dennisg wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:
dennisg wrote:
The closest I've come is to sing it at a karaoke bar. Bobby Hatfield I'm not.

Bobby Hatfield had one of the great voices of all time. HIs demise was a sad way to end a brilliant musical career. I miss him! :(

6string

Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:26 pm

I wonder how Ozzy does it live, seceret magic electronics controlled by the sound engineer?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic