Eva Cassidy A great example.

TGJimB

Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:57 pm

I use Eva Cassidy as an example of correct singing all the time... she is great at going from her chest to head voice flawlessly. Her voice would have lasted for many years had she lived. Eva is one of the singers I suggest to my female students to pick from at a certain point in there lessons... Reason being she is such a great example of doing it right. Eva makes her transitions from chest to head without pushing a lot of air through her chords... such a great example of a singer who could sing from chest to head and back down again.
When she sings folk and ballade styles her tone and delivery is like an angel. But she can also get down with great power. She was one of the best at doing it right and using proper technique... and yet for her it was all natural.
Add that to her Incredible story of being so great and actually not living to know how the world would perceive her. If don't know that story Google her and read it. You will instantly become a fan.

d_dog

Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:59 pm

Did I miss a lesson somewhere? What is head voice? I think I could at least understand what chest voice might be, but I'm unfamiliar with the head voice term. Maybe I'm just used to referring to it as throat singing, to which I am certainly guilty of from time to time.
I'm really looking forward to the lessons to begin!

karl_withakay

Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 pm

Oh yes. Eva Cassidy. I always say that if her version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow doesn't put a chill up your spine, you're not human. I got turned on to her after she passed about year 2001 and have been hooked since. Funny story. I posted a comment in the guestbook of her page (run by her cousin). I put my REAL last name ("Esolen" something I very seldom do) in the post. A few days later, I get an email from Lenny Williams (Cassidy's keyboard/piano player)asking me if I was related to the Esolens in Hancock, New York. I was born and raised in Hancock so EVERYONE there is related to me. I replied telling him who my parents were, where we lived, who my brother and sister are. He emailed me back and told me that he remembered me. He is about my older brother's age and he used to come visit his grandfather during the summer (he had a cottage below where I lived) and he used to play with my older brother. He remembered my Dad, my Mom, my sister and of course me brother as well as me. Small world eh?

Karl

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic