How to carry a tune with the radio off?

eagle670

Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:24 pm

Okay I am going to ask a question that I would imagine is pretty common with most people. I love singing to the radio or my cd's in the car and I know that there are certain songs that I can sing well and others that are just out of my vocal range. The songs that I can sing well I usually turn the stereo down to a level where I can hear my voice over the band. I do this to make sure that I am in key with the song. So I will focus on those particular tunes to learn on the guitar, hoping that I can sing along while I play. My problem is that even though I can play the guitar and sing along as the song plays, once I shut off cd, my voice will wander all over the place. I know that I can sing this song in key but for some reason it is not happening. Any advise?

Anybody else have this problem?

Kevin

ffsooo3

Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:32 pm

My voice wanders with or without the radio/music! :( I have something like a 4 note range - but I can't even consistently hit them. I too would like to know how to hit the notes (consistently).

AndyT

Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:41 pm

Kevin,

Yep. I think its a pretty common problem as well. And that's one of the big reasons we are all so excited about Jim giving us voice lessons here.

We are really working to be patient but its so hard sometimes.

rcsnydley

Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:04 am

The key (sorry, no pun intended), for me at least is to learn the lyrics to the song(s) and sing them in the car or elsewhere without any accompaniment. Concentrating on my starting note and keeping everything in melodic order.

Though it is fun to sing to the radio and/or CD player to me it is a crutch that you need to get beyond. If you want to sing to something use your guitar as the accompaniment.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

heyjoe

Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:14 pm

Hey Kevin

The only way I could carry a tune is in a bucket!

Just watched last Saturdays TG live and we're lucky enough to have a vocal coach on here now, so I'm guessing that we'll all get the chance to learn from him.

Now where did I put that bucket,lol?

Joe

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic