Average Vocal Range

Rod

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:35 am

Hi TGJimB welcome to TG.
I've a question for you. What's the average persons vocal range i.e. for myself I'm male, 37 and have never really used my voice for singing.
I've been strictly guitar but now that the opportunity has arisen I'm going to make a start in training my voice. Just to carry a song in tune at first would be enough.
Would be great if you could give us a lesson with just an average song and tell us what tools we can use to improve i.e. scales and the pitch of the scale in relation to
say middle C on the fret board as I'm strictly guitar and that's the only reference I have at the moment.

Thanks Rod.

Rod

Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:35 am

Any takers on the average male voice vocal range???

AndyT

Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:43 am

I'm not really concerned with the average range, I'd really love to know where I sing best at though. How do we figure that one out?

rapsidy

Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:17 am

Hi Rod

I was interested in this question Rod but does not look like you got much of a response unfortunately

AndyT

Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:37 am

Jim has started his lessons for the Target members. And in one of them he said that when you laugh, that is the high end of your range.

thereshopeyet

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:49 am

Thanks

denekawa

Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:18 pm

Hi Rod

I took a lot of vocal lessons years ago and found that there really was no average. It comes down to the individual really. So rather than go into detail concerning the 3 basic vocal ranges for a male singer, I suggest you read this post at:

http://www.your-personal-singing-guide. ... nge-2.html

The male vocal range can vary from Jon Anderson/ Freddie Mercury to Leonard Cohen/ Link Wray with all stops in between as you know.

This link above gives an overview of the anatomy, analysis and proper use of your own voice. Have you ever noticed that not many of the great guitarists sing? Of course as I say that 10 guys immediately come to mind that can wail, but for the most part, the great singers are not usually the guitarists if you can excuse such a sweeping statement. Vocal abilities have to be developed through practice, just like guitar techniques and abilities do and you can actually add notes to the top and bottom of your vocal range by correct practice, exercises, eating properly, regular practice routines, avoiding tobacco and other vocal cord irritants, etc. You can find your own range easily by playing notes on your guitar and staring at the low end go chromatically up until you feel yourself strain or feel a need to use falsetto. ;)

Singing really helps your value as a jobbing musician/ creative artist and your over all musicality if you can develop that part of your musical character. What easier way to describe a song you've written with lyrics than to sing it to someone? Usually when one does both one or the other suffers though, and hence many of the greats avoid it or don't bother (Jimmy Page). Ever notice BB King does not play when he sings? Just one example, but you get what I mean.

There are many great vocal courses out there, but it is best to get a regular teacher and attend in person from my own experience. Good luck and have fun.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic