Coming out of the TG closet

neverfoundthetime

Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:38 pm

I really have to make a special mention of this. So many folks are coming out of the TG vocal closet in the past days and weeks... MJ, Buddy, Tammy, Izzy, Mark, Daryl, Marc, Gary, Suzie, Tony, Dennis, jimC, (sorry if I missed some, sure I did!) and so many are posting videos of their playing... it's just so much fun and really inspiring for so many of us because it really takes some gumption to do. I think I have enjoyed this feature more than anything else (along with Neil's lessons of course!). I'd just like to shout out to all who have done it and encourage everyone who's on the verge or thinking of doing it. This really is the way to go!

If this pace keeps up we'll have Tom C out of the closet in no time too! I didn't say that!

suziko

Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:40 pm

As someone who recently "came out" I have to agree with you, Chris. I've really enjoyed watching everyone go outside of their comfort zone and, oftentimes, surprise both us and themselves. There was a time on TG when no one even showed their faces! Now look at us!

neverfoundthetime

Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:46 pm

That's exactly my point Suz.... there is so much trust in the folks that make up this community and in the site itself. Unique on the web, I'd guess.

willem

Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:54 pm

Chris,, i think you were the great inspirator on the singin,,but we are so gentle to each other that nobody is afraid to come out whatever they do,,, this all so fun to be here and i'm very curious to where it lead at and how high it grows in levels in the further,,,

jimcjimc

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:18 pm

My wife & son love to play Rock Band & Beatles Rock Band on the Nintendo Wii. I have sometimes joined them and they both like to make fun of my singing.

When I mentioned I had posted a video of myself playing and singing a Dylan tune on youtube and on a guitar website, they were pretty shocked and wanted to know what the feedback was.

I told them that all of the feedback was helpful and positive and a few folks mentioned that my voice was suited to Dylan songs, which we all laughed at as my wife hates Dylan's voice.

I have found it very helpful to make the videos. In each case, I have probably done about a dozen takes and finally say, that's enough, I'm putting it out, mistakes and all.

On the video for You ain't Goin Nowhere (a song I thought I knew pretty well), it took so many takes to make the video I got a blister on my finger, which led me to an unintended learning, namely, I haven't been practicing enough.

Music Junkie

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:20 pm

Chris:

Great point. I know that if it were not for you, Suzi, Al, Tony, Michele, Chas, Jay, Mark, and all of the others (I know I missed a bunch!), I would probably have never done it. Big thanks for that, and also the BIGGEST thanks of all to Neil, Matt and the entire gang at TG for giving us the platform and the opportunity to grow. It truly has changed my life..... B) B) B) B) B)

Chasplaya

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:21 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I really have to make a special mention of this. So many folks are coming out of the TG vocal closet in the past days and weeks... MJ, Buddy, Tammy, Izzy, Mark, Daryl, Marc, Gary, Suzie, Tony, Dennis, jimC, (sorry if I missed some, sure I did!) and so many are posting videos of their playing... it's just so much fun and really inspiring for so many of us because it really takes some gumption to do. I think I have enjoyed this feature more than anything else (along with Neil's lessons of course!). I'd just like to shout out to all who have done it and encourage everyone who's on the verge or thinking of doing it. This really is the way to go!

If this pace keeps up we'll have Tom C out of the closet in no time too! I didn't say that!
Quite agree Chris, but nothing like a wee bit of added encouragement (pressure for Bear, stress for me) to test the water

neverfoundthetime

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:29 pm

...oh yeah, I'm looking forward to you Chas, Bear and BILL to post a singing song... hows about it guys :-)!

haoli25

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:12 pm

It's gonna take a lot of Scotch, Chris! :laugh: A LOT of Scotch! But I am still considering it.

Bill

Music Junkie

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:18 pm

haoli25 wrote:
It's gonna take a lot of Scotch, Chris! :laugh: A LOT of Scotch! But I am still considering it.

Bill
Bill:

If it's any help, I use bourbon......... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic