Chest voice - how do you make and improve it?

michelew

Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:24 pm

i've been singing this weekend. I'm trying to get it together to break out of the TGsinging closet. I've been told that I sing using head-voice only. Even though I've tried to do it, I don't think I've managed the chest voice thing.

SO my question is, how do you make chest voice happen and if you can get it to work how do you improve it (e.g. so it doesn't just sound like shouting).

I guess that I'm hoping TGJImB will help to free some of us timid singers with info and exercises and the like - if I'm jumping ahead of any planned curriculum then a point to a good simple reference would be cool to.

ta

Michele

d_dog

Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:37 pm

Great question Michele. I'm really looking forward to learning more from TGJimB, I hope he will post some things soon.

Chasplaya

Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:48 pm

Good question Michele,

When I used to do amateur theatre our voice coach used to gives us diaphragm lessons and breath from there and project our voices to reach the rear of the auditorium without strain, it may be something along those lines with the breathing. WIll be most interested to hear the professional thoughts and tips from TGjim

tovo

Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:12 pm

It's a really good question Michele. Straight up, I have no real clue, just some ideas.

A long time ago in a life that seems far, far away now, I was an army drill instructor. When you shout at people all day for a living your voice can get mighty sore if you use a "head voice". Initially, our voices would be very sore, but after a couple of weeks of each intake we would bellow from deep down and could be heard over the hills and far away.

Now unfortunately I have no idea how to apply that skill to singing but I really suspect that the techniques required to do both are very closely related. Like you all I'm very keen to hear from Jim on this subject.

Again, good question.

thereshopeyet

Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:02 pm

Thanks

izzyhara

Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:34 pm

These videos were fun.... But like everyone else, I am anxious for JimB to jump in and get us all going. Good thread, Michele.

goldleaf

Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:39 pm

It was interesting when Jim showed us some things you can do to improve your voice. I wish he would have a post with them and maybe a few others so we can work on them as we practice guitar. It is really kind of exciting to have a singing teacher on board. Gary

michelew

Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:38 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Hello Michelle

Here's a good link regarding the female voice.

http://www.ehow.com/video_2376916_chest ... voice.html

Cheers

TheresHopeYet

PS

Note: There are other videos just below this video.
Thanks TheresHopeYet - some interesting info. I still need guidance on the hows. but it helps.

Michele

willem

Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:52 am

Hey Michelle,,maybe i'm wrong but we see in the further,but try this,,when you speak thats the comfort zone,,there you can sing also and maybe that you can see as your chest voice, now start to sing do-re-mi-fa-so-la-si-do, i think when your are on the last do!! your are in the head voice,, start on the middle C on the piano , every voice have a breaking point were you go over from chest to head voice,, maybe you can feel the vibrations to(chest,head),,hope i have it right,,give it a go..singin is a nice art..ho yeah you must keep your breath low in the belly and slowly relaese it,,when you empty get a deep breath throu the nose and you are full again,.....JIM WHEN ARE YOU COMING??

thereshopeyet

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:56 am

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic