Harmony???

Sagittarius62

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:14 pm

Getting back into playing after many years, and TG is a wonderful resource. Thanks for all you guys do. One thing I have always struggled with is harmonizing. In a determined effort to finally get it, I have been coercing my daughter to sing the melody to simple songs, Mary Had a Little Lamb etc, while I attempt to follow her singing the melody line at at the third or fifth. I know that the harmony line doesn't always follow the melody note for note, but it seems like good practice. Anyway, how does one teach one's self to sing harmony? Big question I know, but any tips or resources I might use would be helpful. TIA

AndyT

Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:29 am

This is a tough question and my best answer right now would be to get with a vocal coach. Strangely enough, we have one here at TG. If you are a Target member, we are now starting to get voice lessons as part of our membership.

ffsooo3

Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:24 am

How about trying to sing along with a song that is a (somewhat simple) 2 part harmony song (or at least a song where the 2 parts are quite clear)? Maybe try The Beatle's "If I Fell", or The Everly Brother's "Bye Bye Love", or maybe Extreme's "More Than Words". Just a thought. Anyone have other possible 2 part harmony songs with clear, distinct, somewhat simple harmonies?

willem

Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:51 pm

though indeed,,all i know is that the harmonie (second voice)is in the chord,,when you are on a traid C chord the notes from that are C-E-G..when the melody begins on a G,,then you can start harmonie on a E, in my opinion,,but it dont't following every where the melody intervals,,the harmonie is often a straight line (E-E-E...for to be clear),,i think we get intime some more awnsers on this...

welder4

Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:29 pm

the best thing to do is make sure you can sing and then find a partner that can sing; work together and get the thirds down or even fifths but the blended voice is by far the greatest musical instrument ever made. try hitting a note on the guitar piano what ever and singing or humming the third note in the scale to that note, this will at least let you know if you can tune your voice. Being able to distinguish what note it is that you hear is a great asset, it can come with much practice and study. As you come into it you will notice that after the first note the rest will come almost automatically .I can't sing but I do understand the concept . I was born with silly vocal chords . When one sings a C note try hitting a E note and you can use the guitar for a reference if you need to . Not an expert not even a novice but that is the way I see it, take it or leave it .

willem

Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:12 pm

Thanks for your contribution,,its a great study, in theory and just trying it,,

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic