Query: Double Bar Chord out of an A shape

frybaby

Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:12 pm

Forum Folks,
I have struggled with and continue to struggle with making what Neil calls a double bar chord out of the basic A shape chord.
My struggle revolves around the fact that I just can not seem to flex my index finger when in the double bar position so that the 1 string ( little E) passes through to the index finger also making a bar. The string if passing past the ring finger portion of the bar would be playing tone 1 of the chord, which should/could be played as part of the basic chord structure ( tones 1,3,5 ) however, if the ring finger bar frets the string, then the note is the second tone of the scale and thus not a part of basic chord structure, and in fact if played would make the chord a sus 2, ( I believe, correct me if I am wrong).
To to make a short query long, How many of us here can play the double bar shape and let the small e pass through to the index finger, of do most of us just mute it?

eagle670

Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:40 pm

For me the problem has always been the left hand position. I took on some really bad habits in my younger days and now I am really having to make an effort to correct it. I have made some good process and most of my barre chords ring clearer now. I would have a hard time explaining it here, but my suggestion to you would be to really pay close attention to Neil's hand position, I know there are some videos of him explaining the proper position for the left hand. Before I started trying to correct this, I was really frustrated with muted barre chords and had a lot of string buzzing. I still have problems now and again with them, but not near as much as I use too.

Kevin

BigBear

Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:51 pm

Frybaby- this is the classic question that all guitarists face (other than why the hell did I decide to play this thing?! lol!). A couple of things to consider:

1. Many/most people can't play this barre initially and only with a lot of work and playing around with hand positions, tension, hand strength etc. But with commitment some players will be able to play this barre successfully.

2. When I was a kid taking guitar lessons, my instructor wanted me to bend my ring finger back whenever I could to increase flexibility and range of motion. Obviously, not to the point of pain. He was so limber it looked like he was double jointed or a freak of nature. I was never that limber but working the joint does seem to help, at least a little.

3. Most songs don't require the ist string to ring thru cleanly. Yes, it's nice but not always necessary. LEarn when you really need it and when you don't. I can get it clean about 60-70% of the time but it's not always predictable. If I have to have, say for a fingerstyle song, I have to use a 4 finger (barre+3) A shape. I hate doing it because I feel like I failed but sometimes you just need to do it that way!

4. Practice, practice, practice- The Totally Guitars mantra. Accept no substitute! LOL! It may take years to get it right and then, depending on your body's physiology, maybe never. I believe this shape gets harder as you get older and you lose a little range of motion.

Good luck buddy! This is a tough one!! :cheer:

RicksPick

Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:31 pm

Hi freak of nature here lol

My fingers bend naturally back at the last hinge almost 90 degrees with very little pressure, its still hard to get this clean on the first string Barre shape, in fact this is how I always played the A chord cos it was so easy, until I found Neils way.

RicksPick

BigBear

Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:07 pm

RicksPick wrote:
Hi freak of nature here lol

My fingers bend naturally back at the last hinge almost 90 degrees with very little pressure, its still hard to get this clean on the first string Barre shape, in fact this is how I always played the A chord cos it was so easy, until I found Neils way.

RicksPick

Count your blessings! You were born to play the guitar!! :cheer:

RicksPick

Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:37 pm

Why can i hear dueling banjo's

RicksPick :S

dekotaj

Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:46 pm

Sorry to say most times I just mute it,Some time I get lucky.

Kevin

tom18

Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:03 am

frybaby wrote:
Forum Folks,
I have struggled with and continue to struggle with making what Neil calls a double bar chord out of the basic A shape chord.
My struggle revolves around the fact that I just can not seem to flex my index finger when in the double bar position so that the 1 string ( little E) passes through to the index finger also making a bar. The string if passing past the ring finger portion of the bar would be playing tone 1 of the chord, which should/could be played as part of the basic chord structure ( tones 1,3,5 ) however, if the ring finger bar frets the string, then the note is the second tone of the scale and thus not a part of basic chord structure, and in fact if played would make the chord a sus 2, ( I believe, correct me if I am wrong).
To to make a short query long, How many of us here can play the double bar shape and let the small e pass through to the index finger, of do most of us just mute it?
Now you've got me worried. I can play the E shape and A shape barres (e.g. F, Bb etc.) although I don't always make the chord changes fast enough to play in songs. I'm just wondering what's meant by a "double barre" chord. Can you post a link to the lesson where it's discussed? Thanks,
Tom

frybaby

Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:44 am

Three fingers instead of baring with the ring finger work better, but I just can't get it constructed fast enough. It more effort, coordination and time to make it, another problem if it need to be made up the neck the frets get smaller so all three won't fit all that well or all that easy.

tom18

Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:01 am

frybaby wrote:
Three fingers instead of baring with the ring finger work better, but I just can't get it constructed fast enough. It more effort, coordination and time to make it, another problem if it need to be made up the neck the frets get smaller so all three won't fit all that well or all that easy.
I agree with you. I also play it with my third finger on the D string, second finger on the G string and fourth finger on the B string and an index finger barre on the E, A and E strings two frets below. I'll have to give it a try the other way but I've got my doubts.
Tom

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic