Hand position while using a pick

frybaby

Sat May 29, 2010 8:20 pm

when using a pick, is there a proper position for the middle ring and little finger.
I have noticed that in some case when using a pick some folks have the these fingers pointing downward with a slight curl to the guitar, while in other cases the three fingers are curled in toward the palm.
Is either consider the correct position, or is it just a matter of preference?

Chasplaya

Sat May 29, 2010 8:45 pm

I don't believe there is a right or wrong way. But sometimes it may depend on the song, as you may want to introduce the middle and ring to pick out notes or use in conjunction with the pick.

I usually (actually had to pick up the guitar and check this) curl the fingers in keeping them out of the way.

Lavallee

Sat May 29, 2010 9:06 pm

Good question, I personally always leave my pinky and sometimes ring finger touching the guitar but not anchored and without tension, like if they were numb. I find that it helps me keeping the same height, being ready to pick. In my previous life the teacher I was seeing had his hand closed. So I think it is a personal preference, like Chas was saying.

Marc

BigBear

Sun May 30, 2010 1:04 am

Very interesting question!! I think it doesn't matter too much as long as they are out of the way. One thing to consider is if you want to simultaneously "pick and pluck" with your free fingers they will need to be down.

I tend to hold my hand in what is called the "position of function" by hand doctors which is naturally cupped like you are holding a baseball bat or a thin bottle. This is a very relaxed postion.

ffsooo3

Sun May 30, 2010 6:01 am

I seldomly use a pick. But when I do, my fingers are like Marc's and BigBear's.

But while talking about picks and hand positions I have a follow-up question that I'll pose here, but please let me know if I should make it a separate thread (as I don't want to hijack this one).....

When I do use a pick (for strumming) I find my pick spinning/rotating or otherwise changing position in my fingers such that the pointed tip of the pick is no longer the part of the pick that touches the strings. I've seen Neil's video on the "proper way to hold a pick" but that didn't help me. When I focus on gripping the pick tightly, my strumming gets too loud. I don't seem to be able to grip the pick tightly (so that it won't spin) AND strum softly. I've tried various pick sizes, thicknesses, and textures to no avail. Does anyone else have this problem or can anyone suggest a way for me to fix my strumming problem? Thanks.

wrench

Sun May 30, 2010 7:57 am

ffsooo3 wrote:

But while talking about picks and hand positions I have a follow-up question that I'll pose here, but please let me know if I should make it a separate thread (as I don't want to hijack this one).....

When I do use a pick (for strumming) I find my pick spinning/rotating or otherwise changing position in my fingers such that the pointed tip of the pick is no longer the part of the pick that touches the strings. I've seen Neil's video on the "proper way to hold a pick" but that didn't help me. When I focus on gripping the pick tightly, my strumming gets too loud. I don't seem to be able to grip the pick tightly (so that it won't spin) AND strum softly. I've tried various pick sizes, thicknesses, and textures to no avail. Does anyone else have this problem or can anyone suggest a way for me to fix my strumming problem? Thanks.
Daryl, when placing the pick, make sure the butt of the pick is firmly seated against the lower part of your index finger. That will prevent the spinning, and it will allow a very light grasp. It will also shorten the protruding portion of the pick such that you will likely need to keep the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fingers extended to avoid contact with the strings.

Dan

dennisg

Sun May 30, 2010 8:21 am

The single most important thing that's allowed me to improve my picking technique is to use textured picks. Having little grippy nubs on the pick prevents it from rotating in my fingers as I play and allows me to loosen my grip on the pick, resulting in lighter and more fluid strumming.

By "fluid strumming" I mean I drool a lot when I play.

billyrich

Sun May 30, 2010 10:13 am

I had this problem when I moved to dunlop tortx picks. It is a more durable plastic but it is slippery. I use a small knife and cut an argile patter into each side wich create groves to hold onto. I don't always do this any more because if it does end up rotating it is hard to move back.

ffsooo3

Sun May 30, 2010 2:12 pm

wrench wrote:
ffsooo3 wrote:

Daryl, when placing the pick, make sure the butt of the pick is firmly seated against the lower part of your index finger. That will prevent the spinning, and it will allow a very light grasp. It will also shorten the protruding portion of the pick such that you will likely need to keep the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fingers extended to avoid contact with the strings.

Dan
Dan, Could you somehow get a picture of what you mean? I'm not sure I understand where the "lower part of your index finger" is. Thanks.

ffsooo3

Sun May 30, 2010 2:15 pm

dennisg wrote:
The single most important thing that's allowed me to improve my picking technique is to use textured picks. Having little grippy nubs on the pick prevents it from rotating in my fingers as I play and allows me to loosen my grip on the pick, resulting in lighter and more fluid strumming.

By "fluid strumming" I mean I drool a lot when I play.
Dennis, Could you get a picture of your "fluid strumming"? I'm not sure I understand. :silly: :dry: :unsure: :lol: I've tried textured picks to no avail. But with Dan's suggestion perhaps the combination will do the trick. Thanks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic