Chicken or the Egg ???

Chasplaya

Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:18 pm

I've asked this question for Neils take for the next TARGET Live, but thought it might be of interest to all members so heres the options

1. Learn to play the song on guitar first

2. Learn to sing the song first

3. Do both simultaneously

4. Any other option out there, i'd like to hear from you.

tovo

Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:28 pm

I learn on guitar first but find that singing along helps me to learn so I tend to throw in the singing before I have the song down fully. I still agree that if you are going to try perform it, you really need to have the guitar part down pretty well otherwise you risk a terrible train wreck.

TGMatt

Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:22 am

Neil's answer is to hum the tune whilst you are learning to play it first..work on the humming intonation then translate parts that you are comfortable with with words and then onwards from there..

Helps to remember them first of course if it is a new song...try not to do what I did, which is to look at a sheet whilst playing...

Practice in the car, the shower etc,

Then it will be unconscious competence for at least that part

mcfingers

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:33 am

I generally learn the guitar part first and then work on the words. I find that listening to the CD track of my favorite version of the song helps with the timing and the phrasing.
Nothing works better for me than repetition.

Music Junkie

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:52 am

TGMatt wrote:
Neil's answer is to hum the tune whilst you are learning to play it first..work on the humming intonation then translate parts that you are comfortable with with words and then onwards from there..

Helps to remember them first of course if it is a new song...try not to do what I did, which is to look at a sheet whilst playing...

Practice in the car, the shower etc,

Then it will be unconscious competence for at least that part
The humming part has become very helpful to me..... :)

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:08 pm

I've always sung the song first, usually singing along with the original. Then I'll try to work out the guitar and sing along as I do it. How the phrasing fits with the playing is a key issue. If the phrasing easy it's plain sailing. If the phrasing is tricky I'll switch to just guitar and play along with the original focussing just on that before I try to put it together.

billyrich

Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:17 am

I don't think I have a set way. If its a cover I chose to play I probably already have sang along with a recording befor I learn the guitar. If a friend is asking me to play a song I don't know I'll prob learn the guitar first. Wich comes first isn't important, the important part is to be alone when they come together becase it usually sounds bad the first few times I try it. haha

sws626

Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:37 am

I don't try to sing while I'm learning to play. Sometimes I may hum along. Haven't yet managed to get the guitar into the shower or car, so very little sing along so far.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic