Blackbird

dennisg

Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:33 am

Here's my latest performance of Blackbird by the Beatles. I used Neil's instructions to play this song in the TARGET program and it really helped me out a lot. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

[video width=480 height=385][/video]

BigBear

Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:51 am

Chef- great job! I really like your slow and steady approach to this song and the use of the metronome. It is always better to start slow with accuracy and then build up speed from there. So many players want to play at speed because that's how they hear the song in their minds. Your method is much better.

If I may suggest, your left hand position is excellent. But your right hand needs to rotate down so that your fingers strike the strings at a 90 degree angle.

Other than that you are off to a great start! I hope you post another video when you are playing this at speed!

Thanks for sharing this video and congratulations on your hard work!

Cheers! :cheer:

dennisg

Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:09 pm

Very, very nicely done. I've been thinking of tackling this song myself. Seeing your version inspires me to move it up the list.

willem

Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:14 pm

Russo,,i know this song has my trouserpocket,,and you did fantastic,,after a time you played some faster and can add the singin,,i think you did many of us that are a fan of this song much plaeser and inspirering,,thanks and congrat on your post..Willem

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:17 pm

Nice job Christian! Picture-book example of how to do one of Neil's great lessons right. Great start on the video posting. Look forward to your next recipe! Chris

Craig

Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:21 pm

Thanks for your words of encouragement, BigBear!

I have been working more on my right hand lately and I realize that my approach is not ideal at this point. Right now I just have to unlearn what I have already learned as far as the right hand is concerned. Up to this point, I play much better with a pick and I'm just getting into learning more and more fingerstyle.

Slow, methodical practice with a metronome is what I have had great success with up to this point and I would suggest that everyone should practice this way. You have to see, feel, and experience the movements slowly at first so that you can identify difficulties and problems more easily. Before I posted this video, I played it at a much slower tempo and that's where I developed my left hand position. I even go back to a slower tempo from time to time, just to solidify my technique.

Craig

Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:25 pm

Wow, in the time it took for me to respond to BigBear, a lot of other people added some great feedback. Thanks to you all!

I am working on actually singing this song while playing it, but it's not quite to the level I'd like. Right now, I have to focus so much on the actual playing that the singing falls by the wayside. I am working on it diligently though.

BigBear

Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:36 pm

chefrusso wrote:
Thanks for your words of encouragement, BigBear!

I have been working more on my right hand lately and I realize that my approach is not ideal at this point. Right now I just have to unlearn what I have already learned as far as the right hand is concerned. Up to this point, I play much better with a pick and I'm just getting into learning more and more fingerstyle.

Slow, methodical practice with a metronome is what I have had great success with up to this point and I would suggest that everyone should practice this way. You have to see, feel, and experience the movements slowly at first so that you can identify difficulties and problems more easily. Before I posted this video, I played it at a much slower tempo and that's where I developed my left hand position. I even go back to a slower tempo from time to time, just to solidify my technique.

I'm right there with you buddy, trying to un-learn bad habits. But your approach and philosophy are outstanding!! You will progress quickly this way! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic