Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:19 pm

I have been stumbling through the guitar since March 2009 until I
came across this site and learned a complete song without giving up
and going to another.What puzzles me the most is I have found out that
I find finger picking to be easier than strumming! Is this normal
or am I just a wacked out lefty?

willem

Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:29 pm

Maybe its your nature talent,but it can, but witch song did you??

Lavallee

Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:31 pm

I also find strumming more challenging than finger picking (not saying finger picking is easy). Many song have their melody coming from the strumming rhythm and I find this challenging. You are not alone.

Marc

BigBear

Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:33 pm

I'm really glad you found this site. And you pose an interesting question. Many people like the sound of picking out individual notes and some even feel this is easier than strumming. I'm the opposite, believing that strumming is much easier to learn and play because you only have to coordinate a pick versus a thumb and three fingers.

Almost everyone gravitiates towards whatever style suits them best but I believe it is a huge mistake not to learn fingerstyle, fingerpicking and strumming. Why limit your playing to any particular style?

If you don't have many years playing under your belt most of this is new and exciting so don't worry about what seems "easier" or "more natural". Those concepts will come later with experience.

Right now focus hard on really good technique; good left snd right hand positions, assigning your index, middle, and ring fingers to the E, B and G strings, correct bass notes with your thumb, crisp clean chords, mastering the dreaded barre chords etc.

I cannot encourage you enough to consider joining the TARGET program if you are really serious about getting better with the guitar. There simply is not a better resource available anywhere on the web to do what this site does. I've played the guitar for over 40 years and since I joined barely a year ago my skills, and confidence, have skyrocketed. Plus TARGET is an unbelieveable value. I sound like a shill for the TARGET program but I'll bet most, if not all, TARGET members feel the way I do.

So have fun on your musical journey and let us know if we can ever help you out!

Cheers! :cheer:

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:22 pm

Yes, I started with picking too. Got traumatised early on with trying to strum Eleanor Rigby and just couldn't get it. Much worse than Tony and Norwegian Wood!! ;-)

tovo

Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:31 pm

Not to worry, I'm back on the NW bandwagon after Bear and Jerry's effort! :)

I reckon I find finger-style arpeggio a bit easier than strumming. Although I do like strumming and think it's a mistake to exclude one or the other. Both are valid styles.

AcousticAl

Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:47 pm

Good post. As some of you know, I find fingerpicking easier than strumming.
I think once you really get your head around either styles, you'll excel at them.

My problem is that because I'm better at fingerpicking, I practice that more than strumming. Am trying to correct that.

sws626

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:28 pm

I'm also more comfortable with fingerpicking than with strumming -- maybe because I learned a lot of simple patterned fingerpicking songs as a child. Now I'm making a conscious effort to work on strumming and finding it a rewarding challenge.

But, as Bear has said, if you are relatively new to this, then working on developing good technique/habits in a wide range of styles should definitely be a goal. And there are few better places for that than the one you've found here.

-Stuart

songman52

Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:23 pm

Welcome. I, too, find fingerpicking easier when first trying to "map out" a song, that is, find a key, rhythm, speed, etc. Some songs lend themselves better for one style over the other. I agree with Bear, concentrate on good technique, and as you get better you should learn strumming as well. Depending on the mood, I might play some songs fingerpicking at times but then strum at other times. Or mix them in the same song, like in The Boxer.

You found a good place to learn here at TG.

Jerry

frybaby

Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:56 am

As for me… well it’s really kind of hard to say which I prefer.
The few song I know, I can play either way, so I alternate between finger picking and strumming.

Both styles require different skill sets, and in a effort to be well rounded I work on both.

I have an innate sense of rhythm so strumming comes kind of natural. I think I would have been a drummer if my folk would have allowed drums in the house. ( I can play a mean dashboard, much to my wife’s dismay) Side bar: I have heard drummer make good guitarist because of their natural rhythm.
Anyway, to point. When I think I a prefer strumming, I strum most of the time, then I realize there is more to it that just striking all 6 strings is some rhythmic pattern, good strumming involves accentuating and alternating base notes and melody notes, hammer on and off’s etc.

Same is true with finger picking- all kinds of variations and patterns and embellishments involved to actually have it be decent finger picking.

Here’s what I discovered about my finger picking ( when I think to myself it come more natural). I realize have a certain pattern that seem to come easy and natural to my fingers, so unconsciously fall in to that pattern, most of my finger picking sounds the same, for all songs.

Same is true with strumming, if not careful and concentrating on what I am actually doing in terms of up and down and ghost strokes, it all starts to be the same pattern or at least very similar.
I just seem to fall unconsciously in to a couple of comefortable/naturel, patterns for both styles.

Therefore in reality natural, yes to a degree, but the naturalness of both is very limited.

To really feel accomplished I have to work very hard so that I am not doing the same thing for either strumming or finger picking, the same way for every song.

Well there it is.
Frybaby

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic