Crowded House "Intriguer" lyrics/vocal competition entry

JHall

Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:14 pm

Hey fellow TG'ers. Here is my entry into the Crowded House "Intriguer" lyrics/vocal competition. One of my favorite bands, Crowded House, provided the music track on their web site and challenged their fans to download the track, write lyrics, and record a vocal track over their instrumental "Intriguer". As you might notice the song is in an unusual time signature (7/8) which made it a bit more difficult to fit lyrics with the song. Unfortunately I had only a single evening to write and record this as the deadline for submissions was the following day. I used a TC Helicon VoiceLive 2 vocal processor to get the "radio" effect at the end of the verses and the harmonies toward the end of the song to save time. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
John

Always hanging up the phone, when I walk into the room
A subtle nervousness at times, when I get too close to you
So alert and so aware, of position and of place
A glance becomes a stare, you study every face
Turn a corner up ahead, disappear into thin air (like you were never there)

Were you looking for a place, where you could find some peace
Somebody you could trust, to watch your back while you sleep
A shelter from the storm, a respite from intrigue
A facade of normalcy, for the dangerous life you lead
It's what you need (someone like me)

Come in from the dark, step into the light
Feel the sun on your face, look forward to the night
we will find a place, where we can catch our breath
far from everything, that makes you The Intriguer
The Intriguer, The Intriguer

tovo

Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:46 pm

Hi John. Well I think it's a clever use of effects and good lyrics. Good luck with the comp. Crowded House are a great band. I was extremely sad when their drummer committed suicide after battling depression for many years.

You had me confused, thought I had missed a Crowded House Competition on TG, when I read the lines under you video it all made sense. Perhaps that would be better placed at the start of your post so people know what your video is about.

Nice collection of guitars you have sitting there.

Cheers.

JHall

Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:48 pm

Thanks tovo. I took your suggestion and edited the post. In the background are my Schecter 5-string bass, Line-6 VariAx guitar, and an Ibanez acoustic/electric. bass. My primary acoustic guitar is a Larrivee OM-03. I plan on doing some acoustic covers of Crowded House songs with the Larrivee... "Don't Dream It's Over" and "Fall At Your Feet" being the first on my list.

John

tovo

Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:51 pm

Really? Well it's a race then...I'm working on one of those 2 myself! :)

JHall

Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:04 pm

"Hey now, hey now..." :)

michelew

Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Good luck with the competition John. They're cool lyrics and really work IMHO.

Are you an Aussie or a Kiwi? I must have missed your intro thread.

Michele (from Sydney)

JHall

Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:27 pm

Thanks Michele. No, I'm American but I've picked up a wicked Kiwi accent from watching "Flight of the ConChords"! :) I love that show.

Been a Split Enz/Crowded House fan from when they first hit the scene. I like lots of down under bands... Paul Kelly, INXS, HooDoo Gurus, Midnight Oil, Jet, etc. I'm trying to teach myself "Look What You've Done" on the piano right now. What are your fav Aussie bands?

John

michelew

Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:48 am

John,

They're all great bands. I'm currently keen on The Waifs, the Audreys, Fruit, Angus and Julia Stone, Josh Pike, Vikka and Linda and John Butler. Others too but that might give you a couple that you haven't heard off. You might want to ask Tony, Brad, Scot and Chas too. They may like artists that are more to your taste.

Talk to you soon.

Michele

jayswett

Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:08 am

Listening to that, I have to think you have a pretty good shot at winning that competition. What is that circular contraption in front of your microphone?

JHall

Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:08 am

Michele, I'll definitely check those out.

Thanks Jayswett. I have my fingers crossed but you never know with these things. The circular contraption is a "pop filter"... keeps the singers breath from hitting the microphone and making unwanted noise.

John

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic