Crowded House "Intriguer" lyrics/vocal competition entry

BobR

Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:41 am

Hi John,

Your lyrics, singing and effects sounded good to me. Good luck in the competition.

Bob

JHall

Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:17 pm

Thanks Bob.

John

BigBear

Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:53 pm

John- we may have to take back all those terrible jokes about bass players!! lol!

That's quite a setup you have there! Since you are a really good singer, do you notice any changes in your vocals from sitting versus standing? We have a vocal section here at TG and the recommendation is always to sing standing up. But most guitar players, at least acoustic, seem to sing sitting down.

Anyway John, that was great! Don't know many Crowded House songs but I liked that one! "Don't Dream It's Over" is a great tune I think. And so is "All I Ask".

Good luck with the competition! I still don't understand what the competition is but good luck anyway! lol!

Cheers! :cheer:

p.s. Don't let these Aussies give you bad time!! LOL! :laugh:

JHall

Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:44 pm

Hey BigBear... the only time I can tell much difference between sitting and standing is when a song requires me to REALLY belt it out (e.g. the bridge in "Kissing A Fool"). In those cases standing definitely makes it easier as I can really fill my belly with air better. But most of the time I'm singing softer more acoustic/breathy stuff and don't feel like sitting down is hindering my vocal. I'm definitely more comfortable playing guitar sitting down. Back in March I played a gig with some buddies and I had to get used to standing/singing/playing and how the strap felt, etc. But after a few rehearsals it was no problem and I kinda liked how it allowed me to move around and put more expression (body language) into the performance. So, for performance, I think standing is the way to go. After I made that video and watched it back I was wondering if a vocal oriented person would make that observation... AND YOU DID!

Thanks for the kind words about my singing. I'm working on acoustic versions of "Don't Dream It's Over" and "Fall At Your Feet" and hope to get those videos up soon.

John

BigBear

Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:40 pm

John- If I could sing like you I'd have less things to worry about! But I have to sing loud to mask my lousy guitar playing! lol!

If you want to see how vocally challenged I am check out this link:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/129 ... of-silence

I'm with you on singing and playing standing up. The freedom of movement is cool but it takes a bit to get used to!

Cheers! :cheer:

JHall

Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:20 pm

Rick, what are you talking about... that was GREAT! You guys sounded really good together.

John

JHall

Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Yes, I do play guitar sometimes when I'm singing! :-)

[video][/video]

neverfoundthetime

Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:33 am

Nice job John!

Hydroman52

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:25 pm

That was exceptionally well done. Could you give us a bit more background? Looks like a club setting? Are you primarily solo? Etc.

Hydroman52

JHall

Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:16 pm

Thanks Hydro. Yes, The Warehouse is a live music club and bar in Tallahassee, FL, where I live. They have an open mic show every Wed. night and it's open to whoever shows up! It's really cool because they get a super-diverse group of performers... singer/songwriters, poets, full rock bands... you name it. One guy even jumped up on stage and did a quick comedy routine while I was setting up my gear. At 9pm we draw numbers from a hat to determine the order and you get usually about 15 minutes to play whatever you like (originals, covers, etc.). This was my first time playing there and it's been a while (March) since I've played in front of a live audience... so, I was fighting a few nerves and made some mistakes. But for me, it's an exercise in personal growth and conquering the fear... and I always feel better afterward knowing that I faced my fear and did my best under those circumstances. My goal now is to get more comfortable performing live so that I can enjoy the connection with the audience and hopefully that will inspire even better performances. This is what I've been told by veteran performers anyway.

BTW, for those interested in working on live performance, there is a "virtual" open mic site called theStage.tv. It's seems like a good intermediate step to playing for a real live audience... nerves and all!!! :-)

John

P.S. Yes, I'm primarily solo. Played a single gig with a band some friends and I put together for an Alzhiemer's benefit ball back in March... but haven't gigged since.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic