Possible singing tool

ffsooo3

Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:39 pm

Here's a possible singing tool. At least I think it is. Perhaps TGJimB will have an opinion on whether this would help people develop their voice....

There is a way in audacity to "karoke-ize" many stereo songs. I've posted 2 here to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. If there is interest in this, I can try to explain how it's done. Perhaps many of you already know about this. If there's no interest, that's OK too.

For those of you who are interested but are technically-challenged I'd be more than happy (to attempt) to karoke-ize your song for you. You will just have to email me a stereo version of your song. PM me and I'll give you my email address.

Beatles - Something:

Beatles - For No One:

jayswett

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:45 am

I like this idea, and I'm not at all surprised that Audacity has this feature. I'm sure there are many more great features of Audacity that remain unknown to me. Anyway, if you could send me instructions on how to do this, I'd appreciate it.

AndyT

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:01 am

That's pretty cool, but I prefer to sing along with myself. Just being quirky I guess. LOL

neverfoundthetime

Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:35 am

Maybe you can post the info her Daryl... this is a useful feature which I have not yet tried.

ffsooo3

Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:02 pm

1. open audacity (I'm using version 1.3.12-beta)
2. file -> import -> audio...
3. effect -> vocal_remover

Earlier versions of audacity have a manual procedure where you split the imported stereo track into 2 separate (mono) tracks and then do an effect->invert on one of the separated tracks. If you have an earlier version and want explicit steps let me know.....

This will not work on ALL stereo songs. You just have to give it a shot to see. Like with 'Something' you still get a ghost of the vocals. With "For No One" the vocals are completely eliminated. With other songs the vocals may not be altered at all.....

In addition to eliminating the vocals, sometime the lead solo will get eliminated as well (as in 'Something') so you can practice playing lead guitar as well as singing!

jayswett

Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:46 am

Thanks. I'll check this out.

willem

Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:12 am

Hey you are such a farmer,,you alway´s survive,,i ever said to friends that i would manege to make a karoke dvd´s or vid,,i think i´m on my way know...qeustion,,when use the mp3 file)with voice and follows that to put the lyrics in the vid frame,and then later remove the voice ,then i have a karoke vid i presume,,,

ffsooo3

Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:21 am

willem wrote:
Hey you are such a farmer,,you alway´s survive,,i ever said to friends that i would manege to make a karoke dvd´s or vid,,i think i´m on my way know...qeustion,,when use the mp3 file)with voice and follows that to put the lyrics in the vid frame,and then later remove the voice ,then i have a karoke vid i presume,,,
If I understand your question....Yes once you've created the karoke-ized audio (in audacity) and have created your video with some picture or other graphic (along with the karoke-ized audio in the audio track) you can add the lyrics (perhaps as scrolling credits) to the video and voila you've made yourself a karoke video. Good luck. But remember not all songs can be successfully karoke-ized. :(

neverfoundthetime

Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:20 pm

Daryl, apparently you're a farmer! Good man, and thanks for the tip. :-)

ffsooo3

Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:35 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Daryl, apparently you're a farmer! Good man, and thanks for the tip. :-)
I really don't consider myself a farmer. We just took the "eat locally" philosophy to an extreme. :woohoo:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic