{TAKE 2}...If you are so inclined I could use a fresh set of ears...(Yeah it worked this time!)

Lavallee

Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:31 am

Hi Cori, very nice job, it is great that you can do multi-layer instrumental. Maybe it is a mixing thing but the mandolin sounded a bit out of sync but everything else sounded very good. So you play all of those instruments. Have you learn them by ear, or took some lessons at some point?

Marc

lueders

Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:06 am

Hey, Marc, & Haoli(Bill, Right?)

This is yet another thing that is so cool about T.G.
Where else can you talk shop like this and bounce ideas off people?

Marc, I listed to it on AVS again and I think it is a phrasing issue on the mandolin right in the middle of that first scalar acending run it gets kinda funky in relation to what's going on that time with the guitar. Might have to rethink how I try to phrase that.

Bill, I dunno maybe I'm slightly outta tune. (I'm in plain old G tuning on the banjo.) I do know timing-wise at least the second banjo fill,(if not the first) is slightly off the beat. It's tough to tell though with the implied contrary motion of certain parts.

Anyways, I don't even know if I know what I'm taking about. I'll keep working with it.
Thanks Fellas!

neverfoundthetime

Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:01 am

That looks like fun Cori. Once you start recording and mixing tracks in Audacity (or similar) it opens up lots of possibilities for you to jam with yourself and it can be fun and very time consuming, although I can't think of a much better use of time than that. My tip would be create a whole song with rhythm guitar and add some solo and guitar riffs. I'd also go for banjo if it fits the feel you want to create. Keep working on that til you are happy with it and don't worry about being perfect as you'll never get near that unless you are a studio musician. Doing this kind of recording really showed me that I am all over the place in my timing, even in singing where I've started to notice that phrasing is so important and slight variations in timing make a big difference on recordings. Anyway, hope you carry on and have fun. i also wouldn't throw in too much: Less is more.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic