{TAKE 2}...If you are so inclined I could use a fresh set of ears...(Yeah it worked this time!)

lueders

Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:09 am

Hello, lueders (Cori) here...

First off, I never thought when I joined T.G. I would get such a crash course in
video software. Been fussin' with this tech stuff all day; & finally got it to
work...
[video]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJm_39clXXM[/video]

Here is an original I have been hard at work on. Like I say in the video, I am
trying to apply what I am learnin here @ T.G.
And, after some super-awesome posts lately. (snipe, jcrocket, michelew, well the
list goes on) Seems like a lot of people putting their own unique
spin on things...Anyways, they get the credit/blame for this.

So, I am posting this mainly for two reasons:

1.) I was inspired to apply things I am learning...
2.) When you're trying to be creative and you've wrestled with something for a
while,I think you need some objectivity. So if, and ONLY IF you are so
inclined I would appreciate your two cents worth...Thanx in advance!!
[video type=youtube][/video]

AndyT

Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:17 am

Cori,

Go to the YouTube page with your video. Copy the address you see up at the top.
Paste the address here without anything else and it will show up as a video here. This forum does most of the formatting work for you.

AndyT

Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:25 am

I think you are trying to combine too much too fast. Scale back and do it with just Guitar. Work on the melody line and get it down solid. Then add in Drums. You can get a decent drum program online. There are lots of them. Personally, I like Beatcraft. Very easy to use and learn. Build the song layer by layer. I think you will find that you don't always need all the instruments to be playing at the same time.

Good effort. Keep it up.

snipe

Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:08 am

Cori

That was a neat little tune. You put that together yourself? Very nice! I need to figure out how to do this stuff in layers too, but technically not savy with recording stuff. I hope you continue to post your work. I especially liked your work with chili pepers.

Mike

willem

Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:47 am

Cori nice tune,,love the wisthle and guitar,,in witch key you wrote in??

buddy

Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:44 pm

Cori,

I thought that was pretty cool. Just smooth it out a little and you got it.
Bud

jayswett

Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:05 pm

I enjoyed that. It needs a little work, but I commend you for taking on a complicated project like that. I, too, would love to write a song some day, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

jcrocket

Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:35 pm

Cori -

Good stuff, especially the basic guitar track - I always like a good combination of chords and melodic fills. Once you get the timing of the other instruments down, it'll be a pretty neat song.

Thanks for posting

Jeff

lueders

Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:23 am

Hey, Wow! thanks for all the feedback everybody. (Didn't expect so many to type back!)

In some of Neil's lessons (I think in the theory lessons.) He said: "he likes it when we try to apply this stuff." And since this one of my chief goals I took these words as a dare. Like everything else I do it seems, this is a work in progress. It is sort of an impression or a sketch of a tune that isn't a finalized vivid-color painting quite, yet.
(In other words, yeah it's pretty rough. In places it works and places it doesn't yet.)

Andy- Thanks for the Beatcraft idea. I'll see if I can experiment with some 3/4 or
waltz-time beats and see where it goes. Originally I was kind of going for more
of jug band vibe and to my ears those kind of beats sound kinda overproduced and
techno-ey. But, I'll give it a shot. And I think you're right it is too potsy N'
posey in places.

Snipe- Thanks for the support. Yep, it's original. It's fun too noodle with this
layering stuff. I'm real curious to see where the layering process takes you.

Willem- It's in G. Everything is in G. (ALL INSTRUMENTS they basically play a round)
nothing outside. Thanks, Willem.
Buddy- Thanks for the support. Yeah it needs to be re-worked and get the timing ironed
out for sure.

jayswett- Thanks Jay, Thanks for the commendation. B.t.w. you & michelew inspired me to
tackle some of those precise finger picking tunes. Always impressed with
your crystal clear tone.I'm working on Tori Amos "Winter" Fingerstyle.

jcrockett- Jeff, yeah I think this might be okay when I get the fills right and
everything working together. Thanks for the support, encouragement
inspiration.
THANX!!!

haoli25

Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:35 am

Cori, nice job. I hope you do a follow up on this video. Once you have the timing down on each of these layers, I think it will be great. One last thing, the mandolin sounded fine, but the tuning may be off slightly with the banjo. Thanks for posting.

Bill Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic