Do you listen to the lyrics or just hear the song????

wammer

Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:38 pm

Last weekend I was channel surfing on the TV and came across The Hannah Montana Movie ie "Miley Cyrus" And for those of you who have not seen the movie its about a young girl and she is being raised by her single father and as I listen to this song I heard the lyrics. First thing I thought was wow I want to play that song then I was like WOW the lyrics are beautiful. They really touched my heart. So I just want to share my found treasure with you.
Safe and happy weekend to you all
Tammy

You tucked me in
Turned out the light
Kept me safe and sound at night
Little girls depend on things like that
Brushed my teeth and combed my hair
Had to drive me every where
You were always there when I looked back
You had to do it all alone
Make a living, make a home
Must have been as hard as it could be
And when I couldn't sleep at night
Scared things wouldn't turn out right
You would hold my hand and sing to me

Caterpillar in the tree
Have you wonder who you'll be
Can't go far but you can always dream
Wish you may and wish you might
Don't you worry, hold on tight
I promise you there will come a day

Butterfly fly away
Butterfly fly away(butterfly fly away)
Got your wings now you can't stay
Take those dreams and make them all come true
Butterfly fly away(butterfly fly away)
You've been waiting for this day
All along and known just what to do
Butterfly
Butterfly fly away

willem

Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:56 am

when i listen to the song i read the lyrics,thanks ,safe and happy weekend to you to..

jayswett

Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:38 pm

Tammy, I listened to this song, but imagined you singing it. Needless to say, you would sound great singing and playing this song. I agree that it's a lovely song. The chords look reasonable.

dennisg

Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:59 pm

To answer your question, I pay no attention to the lyrics ... unless, for some reason, I need to learn them or there's just something so compelling about them that I have to pay attention. Odd, considering I'm a writer. I discussed this very thing with my brother, also a writer, who felt the same way. There are songs I've heard a thousand times that I still don't know the lyrics to.

michelew

Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:14 pm

I can't see the video on my iPad at the moment, but the lyrics are really touching and Tammy I'm absolutely sure that you would have us all (well at least me) in tears if you sang it.

Dennis, I'm the same as you. I can hear a song a hundred times and not know the lyrics until I make a conscious decision to learn them.

Michele

mcfingers

Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:23 pm

I think that generally I am like Dennis and don't pay particular attention to the lyrics. If the song is catchy and I like the sound I will pay more attention to the words. After listening to the lyrics, if they have a message or special meaning for me I will be more likely to try and learn them.

This song, "Butterfly, Fly away" hit home for me. Our only child, a girl, is getting married for the first time this fall. She has been a total delight to raise and be around. But, those lyrics made me realize that she, like the butterfly, is flying away to a new part of her life. One that will include her mother and me but, not in the same way as when she was young. We are very proud of her. Thank you for sharing that song, it really had an impact on me.

Cheers everyone.

Sorry I can't invite you all to the wedding..... But I will probably be crying like a baby. :laugh:

tovo

Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:53 pm

I definitely listen intently to the lyrics and if I like the tune I will know the lyrics verbatim fairly quickly. Conversely, if I think that little or know effort went into the lyrics or they are dumb, it puts me off a song very strongly. I'm sure someone with a PhD could analyze this as a left/right brain dominance thing.

Chasplaya

Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:10 pm

As someone with a shocking memory I tend to hear the song but not the lyrics , cos I know I will never remember them anyway. Its usually the catchy tune that gets me first not the lyrics, If I like the lyrics I'll give it a stab to learn them or at least download a copy. Just cause you don't like the lyrics shouldn't put you off the tune, an example was as a fan of the Early Fleetwood Mac I bought a solo album by Jeremy Spencer as I know he is an accomplished guitarist, after purchasing it I only found out it was a very religious verging on cult like album from the Children of God , now the lyrics were not my cup of tea but Spencer's playing is still sublime and worth listening to.

leeson

Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:53 pm

I think that is an interesting question because my wife and I often hear songs differently. I am always attracted to the tune and rhythm of the lyrics without necessarily even comprehending them while she often knows the lyrics by heart after only a couple of listens. We have a couple of songs that we both love, I because of the music, and she because of the lyrics.

That song was indeed beautiful. We have one almost 10 yr old boy. I often feel that if I fail at everything I try but I am the best Dad I can be, I have succeeded. Nothing matters more.

Happiness to you all

Bill

haoli25

Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:22 pm

Good topic, Tammy. I remember reading an article a few years ago in R&R about listening habits. According to a university study, most women, with their great communications skills, tend to listen to the lyrics of a new song first. Most men, being the knuckle-draggers we are :) , are usually captivated by the music first. The latter is certainly true in my case.

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic