What about air guitar?

Lavallee

Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:39 am

I am wondering if I am the only crazy student which uses air guitar to practice rhythm. I try not to do it in the middle of a presentation, but when I am driving for example, and there is a song I am working on on the radio, I try to strum hitting my shirt so that I can hear it.

Anybody else being a candidate for a straight jacket?

Marc

songman52

Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:21 am

Hmmm ... what size do you wear (straight jacket)? I could lend you mine for a while. But I'll need it back before the next full moon.

Jerry

willem

Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:45 am

I wear medium!! maybe you can film your air stuff,,,,i alway's drum on my steerwheel...

Music Junkie

Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:09 am

Marc:

I am so glad that you joined me here in Lala Land....... :silly: :silly:

I am constantly tapping the steering wheel or strumming while music is on. I always try to figure two main things when listening to a song. First, what is the time signature. Second, what is the key. I may not be able to tell you what note is 1, but I try and figure what feels like home. Then I can always go and sound out the note to figure the actual key. I have gotten my son into this now (poor kid). On the way to guitar lessons on Friday nights, we will listen to the IPod in the truck and break down a song. He gets a huge kick out of it and he can actually tell me what notes/chords are being played. I caught him trying to transcribe "Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas the other night. We had heard it on the way to class and he wanted to go home and finish figuring it out. Was pretty cool to watch him work on it.

J

haoli25

Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:45 pm

You guys are ALL crazy....welcome to the club! :laugh: :laugh: I am also a 'steering wheel tapper' and I too listen to determine the time signature and the key. I think Marc may be on to something here, I haven't tried the "Car Air Guitar" (nice sound to that), but it is on my list now.

Bill Image

Lavallee

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:40 am

Jerry I need one with a tie, mine is getting worn out

Jason, right, filming my air guitar strumming !!, they will renew my membership at the institute :laugh: . I also do the steering drum (not at the same time as the strumming though). Kung Fu fighting, I remember, came out at about the same time Bruce Lee was having a great success at the cinema, funny timing. It is great that you son is having fun doing the transcribing. You have been pretty serious about this for a while, you must be getting good at transcribing. What kind of exercises are you doing?

Bill, the strumming on the shirt however really helps me (when I do not have access to the guitar). I visualize a particular rhythm section (along with the notation) that I see Neil doing (right now the Mrs Robinson riff).So when I get back on the guitar it is progressing faster

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic