do you practice melody notes on guitar or such,if your plan is singin the song

willem

Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:55 pm

Do you practisce melody notes on guitar or such if your plan is singin the song and try to reach the right pitch??

lueders

Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:58 pm

Yeah, Willem like we talked about.(Nobody needs to get in the habit of doing this anymore than I do!) I think it is great thing to do because it not only helps give you a target pitch to work with...but gives you a more intimate relationship with the guitar fretboard (rather than a superficial one...like that of your average barre chord bashing punk rock band.) In other words, it allows you to navigate the fretboard easier/better. It also makes you more well-rounded & musical.

dennisg

Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:09 pm

I agree with lueders that playing melody notes has the potential to give you a better understanding of the fretboard. But I think it's a stretch to suggest that NOT doing it is analogous to punk-rock guitarists or anyone else who knows little or nothing about his instrument.

A lot of people use the guitar solely as accompaniment for their voices. I fall into that category. I'm just not interested in very many songs that don't feature a voice.

lueders

Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:59 pm

dennisg wrote:
I agree with lueders that playing melody notes has the potential to give you a better understanding of the fretboard. But I think it's a stretch to suggest that NOT doing it is analogous to punk-rock guitarists or anyone else who knows little or nothing about his instrument.

A lot of people use the guitar solely as accompaniment for their voices. I fall into that category. I'm just not interested in very many songs that don't feature a voice.

I agree with you Dennis, that was kind of a sweeping generalization. I apologize. I should have qualified/specified my remarks a little better. What I meant was for people like me, who are practically tone deaf and have trouble hearing the target pitch it is probably a good practice. You can sing. I can't yet. You, as a singer either naturally can hear the correct pitch of the melody note and probably do not need this exercise. But for me..it is probably a real good idea.) I think Willem is onto something.

*Also, I probably shouldn't have put down punk rock quite so cavalierly. It does take a certain amount of proficiency with rhythm/timing/dexterity & little guitar tech knowledge to pull off a lot of that stuff. I even like some of it. The Talking Heads, they are supposedly punk...and I think David Byrne is a genius.

ffsooo3

Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:04 am

Even if you don't plan to sing, you could do a collaboration/duet with yourself. You know a rhythm track, then the melody, and then the lead & arpeggio stuff (like I think Kevin(?) did recently)....

willem

Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:53 am

I'm not really onto something,just want to bring something that can help for singin..and some discus about it,,when you(if you)want to practice melody/singin do you use you guitar to play the notes,(maybe only the first note,to have a start),after that can you place or hear the notes in your chord??? I know you can listen to the artist of the song you want to do,,but a litlle knowledge to play it also(for study)does nobody arm i think and maybe the intervals are more to understand,,just some thought's..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic