Angelina

ffsooo3

Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:38 am

I’ve been working on Tommy Emmanuel’s Angelina for a VERY long time and I’ve come to realize that I’m now at a road block with the song. Yes, I’m getting close but I know I’m missing a lot of the nuances and subtleties. Is anyone in TG-land working on this song? Is anyone interested in helping me with the song? Or does anyone have any suggestions, tips, or pointers that might help me? I know I should be using hybrid picking but I'm afraid that would take me years to learn. :(

mark

Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:58 am

I only vaguely know this song but I thought you played it really well.

I can't really offer any help on this song.
One thing I did notice is that you seem to play a lot of notes with your thumb rather than your fingers.
It doesn't seem to harm your fluency though

willem

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:21 am

Daryl,,i would be too pleased with helping you out,but can't and if i could play it like you did i was very pleased with it,,but i have some questions..

1.how did you make it your own,,did you have tab?

2.DO you know the chord progression by memory,just if you were strumming it..

3. not so a question;maybe you must learn some hybrid picking..

ps You said,,Tommy shows possibility's,,you don't have to play it like him,,

schm040

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:55 am

Very nice techniques, both rhythmically and tone. Thanks for the post.

6stringbostic

Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:32 am

wow quite nice. i'm afraid i'm not quite at a point i my playing where i could make any useful suggestions for improvements. all i can say is i'm impressed and it sounded very good to my ear! thanks for posting a great performance. hopefully one of the more advanced players on this site will be able to help you out. maybe if you could point out specific areas where you feel you should improve, it might help get more useful feedback?

beaker

Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:54 am

I dont have any tips for you but I can tell you one thing. That was pretty awesome! Beaker.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:17 am

Pretty damn fine job Daryl! really liked the groove you had going. That's going to take Neil to comment on this I think. Great post!

ffsooo3

Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:34 pm

Mark: I agree about your thumb observation. That's where hybrid picking would help (if I could do it). I'll see if using my thumb less makes sense.

Willem: I learned the song by watching lots and lots of YT videos. Even videos of lessons from TE. Unfortunately Tommy is a good teacher for the more advanced players. :( I do have TABs for most of Tommy's songs but for me trying to read a Tommy TAB is like trying to read Chinese!

schm040, 6string & beaker: Thank you.

Chris: Thank you my friend. Though I would love some pointers from Neil, I don't believe Neil will see this video or comment on it as I am not a TARGET member and the video is NOT in the TargetStudentReviews channel. Hopefully, someone in TG-land will watch this video and give me a hand with it. We'll see......

tovo

Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:52 pm

Daryl I have the will to help you because you have been so generous with your time in helping me. But you are well ahead of where I am at in my journey so I don't yet have the tools.

So all I can say is thought it was really nice and so enjoyed it. I think so many in Australia don't realise where Tommy sits on the ladder of brilliant players and that's a real shame. I love seeing people doing his stuff well and you did.

I loved it. Thanks for the upload.

buddy

Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:16 pm

Daryl,

It is pretty impressive where you have taken this very difficult song so far. I have heard it before but never attempted it. The finger picking and chord changes seem very intricate. I would encourage you to keeping work on it as you have made tremendous progress on it, and I hope Neal can give you some pointers on it.

Bud

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic