New Student Song Suggestions

webtvdan

Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:42 pm

Recently began teaching youngsters guitar and looking for modern song suggestions to replace old folk songs for initial lessons.

Current Curriculum:

First Lesson – Down in the Valley with D & A7. Students leave able to play a song after first lesson. Happy youngsters often ask if I wrote the song!

Second Lesson – Michael Row the Boat Ashore with D, & A7 and the addition of G. The G chord played with just the third finger on the first string.

Third Lesson – This Land is Your Land with G, C and D. Student still using the cheater version of G.

Fourth Lesson – Where Have All the Flowers Gone with G, Em, C and D Taught full G taught at this time.

Fifth Lesson – Blowing in the Wind – Key of C – new chords F and Am. It’s surprising that after just a few weeks kids can almost play F. By 6th to 7th week they’ve got it.

I’ve got modern songs from here – i.e. Let It Be, Hey There Delilah, Love Story (Taylor Swift) although welcome any fun beginner’s songs.

Students first taught basic thumb strum, next an index finger strum, and then thumb pluck (bass) followed with index finger up – down – up. Begin Alfred Basic #1 with third Lesson (how to read sheet music). These are the same songs I taught 30+ years ago - the last time I did this.

I’ve created a YouTube channel just for students to practice along with me at home singing these old folk songs.

Does anyone here have song suggestion to replace my old fold songs?

Thanks,
Dan

haoli25

Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:05 am

Good on ya', Dan, for 'passing it on'. You might add some of these '4-chord' songs to your lessons.

Bill

(ummm, you may want to change a few of the lyrics. :) )

tovo

Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:06 am

I think "Time of Your Life" (Good Riddance) is a cool song for kids, they know it and love it. Good thing about it is it can be a strumming tune or a more complicated picking number but the chords are pretty simple.

My kids work on "21 guns'...another Greenday tune.

Also "Times like these" by the Foo Fighters....the acoustic version. About 4-5 chords and pretty easy.

webtvdan

Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:19 am

Thanks Guys.

"Time of Your Life" (Good Riddance) looks like a possible replacement for 'This Land is Your Land' – the third lesson.

Any suggestions for replacement of ‘Down in The Valley’ or ‘Michael Row the Boat Ashore’ with simple two or three chord songs needed for a first and second lesson?

I’m of course aware of the famous one chord song by Sonny and Cher “The Beat Goes On”. That won’t work!

It’s believed ‘Down in The Valley’ was written in the 1800’s. There has got to be a more recent song that can be taught for a first song.

What was your first song? (Mine was of course ‘Down in the Valley’).

Dan

lil40

Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:45 pm

"Lady in Black", Uriah Heep? D and Em, doesn't get any simpler...

Pink Floyd, "Wish you were here" just the strumming part.

Nice simple strumming songs are also "Maggie Mae" Rod Stewart and
"Take it Easy" by The Eagles

Kind regards,

Lil

mark

Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:08 pm

How about knocking on heavens door - not too fast and only 4 chords - G D Am and C

takhak

Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:37 pm

Jambalaya by Hank Williams would be a newer replacement for the two chord song.
Its a good one to start them singing and playing too.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:44 pm

Maybe get them rocking with The Last Time - Rolling stones E, D, A, or alternately D, C, G. I guess its modern... only 40 years old!

willem

Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:48 pm

Hey Dan, ''STAND BY ME''..Starts on a C...

webtvdan

Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:27 pm

Thanks everybody for some great song suggestions – Keep them coming!

takhak – ‘Jambalaya’ is perfect for a first song. Hopefully I can sing it in the key of D – haven’t tried yet. (I can always use a capo).

willem – ‘Stand by Me’ looks easy to play, again haven’t tried to sing it yet. If I can sing it, I’ll also add it to my repertoire for my Senior Citizen visits – think they’ll enjoy it.

I’ll research and attempt every suggestion. Some of the songs I’m unfamiliar with, which makes your input and this forum so valuable!

I’m currently just teaching 12, 13, and 14 year old beginners. Need songs appropriate for that age group.

Hope to teach adult beginners in the near future – a lot of the suggestions will help me create an adult curriculum.

I’m attaching one of the video’s I’ve created for my young students. A parent suggested I create the videos. Said he loved the folk song lessons but his son was unfamiliar with the tune and nobody at home could sing along. My vocal range is still limited – but getting better with practice. Not only must a song be simple to teach – but within my vocal skills.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic