Another one from the "Never say Never" list!!

AcousticAl

Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:43 am

So- my wife is a high school teacher/librarian.
She has mentioned to a few colleagues that I play guitar and am teaching myself using an online site (TG of course).

Turns out that there's a Singer/Songwriter club at the school that was started by a former teacher and one of the guys from BTO (Bachman Turner Overdrive)! I assume it was Turner- as I'm sure I'd have heard about Randy Bachman's involvement before. Anyways, they like to have people/mentors come in and play with/for them. The music teacher has asked me if I'd like to come in and show the kids how TG works, how I record music etc.

GULP!! It's one thing to upload a video to potentially thousands of people you don't know-- but quite another to get up close and intimate with a small group of people. No re-takes. No multi-tracking. Just you and your guitar.

So here's another one I'll soon be able to cross off my 'never say never' list-- playing in front of an audience!!

Wish me luck!

ffsooo3

Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:45 am

What age group are you talking about?

AcousticAl

Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:47 am

ffsooo3 wrote:
What age group are you talking about?
High school.

ffsooo3

Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:58 am

If you just bring in all your guitars and techno gadgets you'll be a hit! How much time are they giving you for this? 15 minutes? an hour? all day?

Yamaha48

AcousticAl wrote:
So- my wife is a high school teacher/librarian.
She has mentioned to a few colleagues that I play guitar and am teaching myself using an online site (TG of course).

Turns out that there's a Singer/Songwriter club at the school that was started by a former teacher and one of the guys from BTO (Bachman Turner Overdrive)! I assume it was Turner- as I'm sure I'd have heard about Randy Bachman's involvement before. Anyways, they like to have people/mentors come in and play with/for them. The music teacher has asked me if I'd like to come in and show the kids how TG works, how I record music etc.

GULP!! It's one thing to upload a video to potentially thousands of people you don't know-- but quite another to get up close and intimate with a small group of people. No re-takes. No multi-tracking. Just you and your guitar.

So here's another one I'll soon be able to cross off my 'never say never' list-- playing in front of an audience!!

Wish me luck!
Hey Al that sounds great my friend.
B.T.O. From the 70s,you aint see nothing yet.
That song whas populaire here in the Netherlands.
Evry thing oke with the boys from B.T.O ?.
I whise you all the best there,you can do it.

greetz Anton [file/]

neverfoundthetime

So cool Al. High schoolers will love it. It's a win/win because you just have to show them how TG is helping you learn. If you play a song well, they'll think TG's a good website and you are a good pupil. If you stuff up live, they'll think TG's a good website and you need to practice that damned F a bit more! ;-). Make sure you film it!

willem

Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:03 am

Never say never,,here he comes,,AL YOUNG,, you can do it Al,,I believe in ya.wish you luck

stratman3

Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:11 am

Great opportunity.....YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Gary B)

AcousticAl

Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:21 am

ffsooo3 wrote:
If you just bring in all your guitars and techno gadgets you'll be a hit! How much time are they giving you for this? 15 minutes? an hour? all day?
It's a lunch-hour thing.
I think you're right about the gadget-factor. I'll bring my SLG, microBR etc.

I'll suggest that I come in over a few lunches. One to go over TG, another to go over gadgets and recording.

I was nervous at first, but am starting to warm to the idea.

jim56

Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:27 am

Wow Al, how exciting for you. You're a good guitarist and you'll do great! Just curious, does the school teach guitar? Reason I ask is I inquired at my daughters public school district and was told in an email from the supervisor of music that classical guitar is not a part of the music curriculum. Like it couldn't be added?

Would like to see that on video, Good luck,

Jim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic