What happened to your funny accent?

michelew

Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:12 pm

Sorry mate. My bad. Well it was Max being a ratbag I suspect, but mine for jogging his memory.

tovo

Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:15 pm

I can't hear you Shel...I'm under the bed with my fingers in my ears, rocking back and forth and chanting incantations to make the devil woman leave me alone!

michelew

Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:20 pm

It's OK mate I reckon she's gone. I can't see her anywhere on this page. I think Chris might have snavelled her away.

tovo

Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:22 pm

OK I'm coming out. (Not like that Shel stay calm...I mean from under the bed).

Let's speak of her no more! :)

michelew

Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:24 pm

Dealio!

Chasplaya

Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:49 pm

Very interesting topic, I think the accent changes for one of two reasons; the first being a desire to emulate the original song and artist, as someone pointed out singing Neil Young in a broad Scots accent doesn't sound right, believe me I just tried singing Ohio in as broad a Scots accent as possible and it wasnae pretty Jimmy aricht! Now given most Rock music comes from that most foreign of countries, the USA, its natural that's the accent, albeit a generic US accent, that people lean towards. The second reason is for acceptance; as Chris said it is necessary to change the way you sound otherwise you'd end up being on the wrong end of a beating or at the least constant mickey taking. I can vouch for the latter as my Scots accent has mellowed over the years I've lived in NZ, as frankly I got pissed off with people constantly asking me to repeat myself just so they could hear my 'funny accent'. Just on accents it has always puzzled me where some foreign accents come from i.e. American, Aussie and even Kiwi, is it it due to an amalgam of the various Races that colonised or was it simply a desire to be different than the Colonial masters?

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:51 pm

MAX! How could you!

Didn't you know my girlfriend Amy frightens the hell out of Tony?

... but I have been missing her, so thanks too! :evil: bwuhahahaha!

Chas' thought on where do accents comes from is another mind-bendingly interesting point. It's more a question of how they develop, I guess. Any accent or dialect will develop from a small group of related individuals and spread as the group/family expands and moves into a larger terratory. Researches have used the development of language to track the spread of peoples across the globe. I guess we Brits (plus some Germans, Dutch, Scandinavians etc.) are responsible for the American accents. A Newfi friend of mine tells me that in some parts of Newfoundland the accent is very similar to the genuine Shakespearian English.

And I forgot to mention the story of Bob Geldof who sang on the film of The Wall for Pink Floyd.He mentions in his book, Is That It? the first recording session in the studio where he deliberately sang in a Bog-Irish accent for the first few takes until the Floyd were getting nervous and said, "Er Bob, it sounds a bit Irish". To which Bod answered; what did they expect from an Irishman?! Then sang it perfectly in the next take. To which they said: "Bastard!" ;-)

Max

Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:18 pm

MAX! How could you!

Didn't you know my girlfriend Amy frightens the hell out of Tony?

... but I have been missing her, so thanks too! bwuhahahaha!
OOP's I had no idea anything could frighten a big green ogre.

Maybe we could get her to do a test and see if she can sing in all those accents.

Max

AndyT

Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:07 pm

Amy has some serious mental problems and I think that makes her a perfect possible mate for Chris. LOL She worries me too Tony, remember?

A friend of mine stuttered but when he became stressed, he lost the stutter. My daughters boyfriend speaks pidgin so heavily that its difficult to understand him at times and he stutters all the time, not on words, but on concepts weirdly enough. LOL When he gets upset or nervous, he speaks simple clean English very clearly.

I can imitate some accents very easily, but only if I've heard them often. How well I do the imitation is another story... LOL

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:59 am

I'd just like to point out that Amy is once of the most healthy looking people I've seen in years in psychological terms: being a little zany and being able to express yourself in many different ways is healthy in my book... the rest of us just stay within our shells too much ... me included! I have great respect for the courage it takes to really live like that. So I'm flattered that she fits to me. Really.

Andy, could the source of the the young man's ability to express himself be the fact he's your daughters boyfriend! One's stressy enough. ;-)
Just keeping you honest Andy!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic