What happened to your funny accent?

sbutler

Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:26 pm

Well yesterday, while driving in the car with my daughter, who is pursuing a major in Languages, listening to Clapton sing "Old Love" (which by the way would be one hell of a lesson), I noticed Clapton certainly didn't sound British. He sounded more American like. If there was anyone on this planet singing, that didn't need to try to emulate anybody, it's Eric Clapton.
Yet he sounded American like, even on his original stuff.

Then Kimberly mentioned the Scorpions. A german rock band that had me fooled for a very longtime. I could here a little something in their voices that was different, but I sure couldn't tell it was German.

So I'm back to my therory that it has more to do with the mechanics of singing than personal preference. Thats not to say that imitation isn't possible if one wants to.

So I challenged Kimberly to writer a term paper on the subject. She's all over it.

Scott.

wonder where the idea of my name came from eh?

willem

Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:50 pm

sbutler wrote:
Well yesterday, while driving in the car with my daughter, who is pursuing a major in Languages, listening to Clapton sing "Old Love" (which by the way would be one hell of a lesson), I noticed Clapton certainly didn't sound British. He sounded more American like. If there was anyone on this planet singing, that didn't need to try to emulate anybody, it's Eric Clapton.
Yet he sounded American like, even on his original stuff.

Then Kimberly mentioned the Scorpions. A german rock band that had me fooled for a very longtime. I could here a little something in their voices that was different, but I sure couldn't tell it was German.

So I'm back to my therory that it has more to do with the mechanics of singing than personal preference. Thats not to say that imitation isn't possible if one wants to.

So I challenged Kimberly to writer a term paper on the subject. She's all over it.

Scott.

wonder where the idea of my name came from eh?
Would you put her writings here??

sbutler

Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:02 pm

I will certainly provide an update, based on her research. However, her first hurdle is to establish is "what category does this fall into"?

Would it be languages or linguistics? I don't know, but for her studies, there is a difference.

One thing I do know, is that I'm proud to say that she is an award winning type of student, and if she does this, it will be very thorough.

just had to get a little plug in for my pride and joy there.

Scott

sws626

Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:27 pm

I happened to hear a radio interview with Annie Lennox recently. Although I've always been a great fan of her voice, it had never previously sunk in to me that she was Scottish.

[video][/video]

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic