What happened to your funny accent?

dennisg

Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:28 pm

I'm sure I don't need to convince anyone that the vast majority of non-Americans lose their native accents when they sing. I first noticed it in February of 1964 when my very excited brother woke me up on a cold winter morning, flipped on the radio and said, "You've got to hear these guys! I think they're from Texas." Oddly, the song he was referring to was She Loves You, and the band was, uh...well, I forget. But I'm pretty sure they were British.

That got me wondering why it is that the international community seems to lose their lovely native accents when they sing, to the point where I'm often surprised when I hear one of them talking during an interview in English that is highly accented.

Is it because so much of rock and roll originated in America that foreigners end up sounding like Americans? Is losing your accent while singing a conscious decision on your part or do you just naturally slip into it?

By the way, this question could just as easily have been posed to Americans with regional accents (New Yawk) Chicaaago, Bahston, N'awlins, etc.) who, when they sing, often sound like they were born and raised in Eugene, Oregon.

I'd love to hear from the Aussies, Kiwis, Dutchies, Brits, Scots, and anyone else who, to American ears, has a beautiful accent when speaking English.

michelew

Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:57 pm

Dennis,

That's the first time I've EVER heard anyone call an Aussie accent beautiful. What have you been smokin'. Nasal, harsh, twangy, flat, strange ... sure, but never beautiful.

But, to answer your question, our vowels in particular don't work with the timing and rhymes of many songs, so I find myself mimicking the singer generally to ensure that the feel of the song is right. It is generally unconscious. I find that I pick up accent influences when I travel too.

I've also heard that it is about the mechanics of the throat, the structure you need to make certain sounds levels out many people's native accent.

Interesting question.

Michele

tovo

Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:03 pm

Hey Dennis, a really interesting question I think. I hardly think that Australians have a "beautiful" accent, but I think it's a matter of being drawn to a "different accent". I must confess that I get a kick out of listening to American Southerners and also those Brits who speak the "Queen's English". I find Vanessa's accent really nice as well as a good example of a European accent influenced by the US accent. (I hope that isn't embarrassing for you Vanessa!).

Anyway, to the question at hand. I can say from my point of view that I don't deliberately slip into a US accent when I sing, it comes naturally. Actually, my opinion is that it's when singers DON'T sing in a US accent that it is really noticeable to me. I have pondered why Australians, Brits, Europeans all sound American when we sing. I have no researched answer, but I do think that the language of rock and roll is "American". It's what we are used to and what we expect to hear. I feel like if I sang a Neil Young tune (for example) using a thick Australian accent it would sound quite ridiculous. I think the Irish have managed to preserve a niche in their music where their accent comes through very clearly but I can't think of many others.

michelew

Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:06 pm

Welsh too.

dennisg

Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:21 pm

That's the first time I've EVER heard anyone call an Aussie accent beautiful. What have you been smokin'.
Michele,

People all over the world have for decades been exposed to American films, TV shows, and music. So our prototype neutral west-coast accent is hardly noticed anymore. But, to us, foreign accents are usually very novel, mysterious, and oftentimes sexy. That includes your Aussie twang. Americans love that accent, so much so that we have an advertising campaign going on right now for a chain of restaurants called Outback Steakhouse that features a guy really laying it on thick.

tovo wrote:
I think the Irish have managed to preserve a niche in their music where their accent comes through very clearly but I can't think of many others.
Tony,

You make a good point. The Irish sound extremely Irish when singing -- but only when singing Irish music. Yeah, there are exceptions. The chick from the Cranberries managed to hang onto her accent. Another example is American country music. Those who sing that type of music seem to maintain their regional southern accents.

I should have posted this question earlier in the day. All the Euros are asleep now. HEY, CHRIS AND VANESSA --WAKE UP!!!

michelew

Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:38 pm

dennisg wrote:
That's the first time I've EVER heard anyone call an Aussie accent beautiful. What have you been smokin'.
Michele,

People all over the world have for decades been exposed to American films, TV shows, and music. So our prototype neutral west-coast accent is hardly noticed anymore. But, to us, foreign accents are usually very novel, mysterious, and oftentimes sexy. That includes your Aussie twang. Americans love that accent, so much so that we have an advertising campaign going on right now for a chain of restaurants called Outback Steakhouse that features a guy really laying it on thick.
Ooooow sexy! Definitely never heard that one. But, ...ooooow sexy..., I think I like it.

coomba

Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:56 pm

This is an interesting subject Dennis
So far I agree with everyone but I also think that when it comes to people/Bands trying to break into the American music industry/market its almost compulsory to have an American accent , especially with country music, I can't think of many artist who have not eventually change there accent in order to succeed, this would to me mean its quite deliberate even more so if the song is an original. It is a shame because I to like to here the original voice.
Scott

dennisg

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:02 pm

coomba wrote:
This is an interesting subject Dennis
So far I agree with everyone but I also think that when it comes to people/Bands trying to break into the American music industry/market its almost compulsory to have an American accent , especially with country music, I can't think of many artist who have not eventually change there accent in order to succeed, this would to me mean its quite deliberate even more so if the song is an original. It is a shame because I to like to here the original voice.
Scott
Interesting observation, Scott. So, what about you? I assume you're not trying to break into the American music scene. Do you sing with an American accent?

coomba

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:34 pm

To be honest Dennis I think I do sometimes although I'm not much of a singer it depends on the song . if its a song written and performed by an Aussie who mostly performs only in Australia then no I don't, but as a lot of our top artists( most of them anyway) are trying to break into the American market a large proportion of our newer talent do sound American.
I also agree with Michelle it does depend on certain words for eg we say CANT like "CARNT" and ASS like ARRS , depending how the song was written and composed the two just don't go together, so you have to sing it as original.
Did that make any sense to you because I think I just confused myself.

Lavallee

Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:58 am

Let me add that the accent might be coming from non English speaking countries (about 80 % of the world (Chinese are throwing off the numbers here)). I have been speaking English for at least 35 years and I still cannot get rid of my French accent when speaking English: wait till I sing, it will not go away .

Some people have a very good ear like Celine Dion (sorry to bring her up) who has a strong French accent when she speaks but sounds anglophone (a local term in Quebec) when she sings. Some Spanish singers are also the same where the Spanish accent comes out in regular conversation but sounds American when singing. Most non English people when singing will try to imitate the English accent but it is no a given. See how often Chinese are laughingstock on the internet when trying to sing in English. An accent is very difficult to hide unless you learn the second language young enough.

Something is certain the American culture is everywhere and I am enjoying it, but paying attention to the other cultures make life quite interesting.

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic