A great Anthem?

tovo

Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:08 am

National Anthems can be pretty stirring. Of course it helps to get them right, but that unfortunate error is not the focus of my question, rather the coverage of it made me think.

We have plenty of Nationalities represented here at TG. Does your Anthem stir you or leave you cold?

I must say I am moved by the US Anthem....ours leaves me positively chilly.

How about you?

(I'd love a version of the Star Spangled Banner as a lesson actually)

michelew

Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:21 am

Oh, COME ON Tony, how can you not be stirred by 'girt by sea'..? ... ??? Little Girt sitting by the ocean... Moving stuff to be sure.

You've got to love the four humming verses too.

AndyT

Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:48 am

Interesting question Tony.
I used to be moved by the Star Spangled Banner, but then I served in the Army. We won't go there...

A song that really moves me and one which for years I thought was a national song of one kind or another is 'Lift Every Voice'. Not too long ago someone pointed out to me that it is the 'American Negro Anthem'. Then I heard it was a 'Spiritual Anthem'. I'm not sure how true any of that is, but it is a beautiful song and full of emotional revelation. A lesson on it would be cool.

Hmmmm.... I think I'll go look it up.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:20 am

National anthems! Tony that's like mentioning the Eurovision Song Contest .. if you non Euros haven't seen this yearly spectacle then thank your lucky stars!! It's the contest that launched ABBA but otherwise is so painful it can only be rivalled by some Latin or S. American national anthems. Man, they love their humpty dump rump rump military sounds!

I think Rule Britannia and If those Feet in Ancient Times are much more stirring songs for an Englishman than God Save the Queen. The Swiss national anthem had the same tune as God Save The Queen until they changed it a few decades back. I suppose, if the Germans are not allowed the words Deutschland über Alles any more then Rule Britannia is also out. Fair dos. The American national anthem does sound right. I am a little split too here as I believe the cause of much misery in this world is due to an over-blown focus on nationalism and although I love competition in sport, I hate what is otherwise done in the name of nationalism (whosever it may be) in this world. Seen from space, there are no nations, just the home of mankind... but I know we shouldn't go there here in this thread.

snipe

Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:25 am

Dont get me wrong, I love the Star Spangled Banner, and Im a hard core patriot. But I wish I could learn how Jimi Hendrix did it !! Now that would take some skills!!!

Mike

Chasplaya

Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:35 pm

The song that was adopted and now regarded as the Scottish National Anthem written by Roy Williamson is one of the most stirring songs I know. Here is the original version sung by Roy Williamson and Ronnie Brown of the Scottish Folk duo The Corries, then a version sung at Murrayfiield at a Scotland vs England Rugby match, not the best musically but one of the best for passion.

This wid bring a tear tae a glass eye ,stunning just stunning

lueders

Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:33 pm

Hey Tony,does "a jolly swagman camping by a billabong," do anything for ya? (How2 do you feel about Waltzing Matilda?)

As for th U.S. anthem...it is tough for even good singers to pull off.

tovo

Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:50 pm

My question wasn't a measure of patriotism thing. Chris, I couldn't agree more with your sentiment in that regard. But there are tunes that stir the soul nevertheless. And we have a Eurovision party every year by the way!

The most stirring tune I know is "Men of Harlech" which is a Welsh tune. They sing it at the Rugby as well and it makes the hair stand up.

Waltzing Matilda Cori? It just occurs to me we have definitely discussed this before. Sorry, maybe I'm running out of ideas. Anyway, it's a nice tune about a thief who steals a sheep and then commits suicide to avoid arrest. Most Australians love it.

suziko

Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:45 pm

Personally, I am not a fan of The Star-Spangled Banner. I wish America the Beautiful were our national anthem, as I think it's a far more moving and appropriate song.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:35 pm

As for th U.S. anthem...it is tough for even good singers to pull off.
Apparently Christina Aguilera proved your point last night at the Super Bowl!

And when do we get the Peoples of Earth anthem... when the ETs arrive or will we have one ready for the grand welcoming ceremony?
Any suggestions?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic