A great Anthem?

AndyT

Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:13 am

Tony,

No worries mate. Rick and I have an understanding. We both are not afraid to say what we think and both of us agree not to be insulted by it. Of course, we are not going to go out and pick fights either. Hopefully everyone here is a mature adult and can handle the occasional non-pc comment.

This is a good thread as it brings forward many viewpoints. Not all of them will be happy ones. That's why I chose the song I did. It presents a much more peaceful and harmonious place to live. At least to my ears.

tovo

Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:06 am

AndyT wrote:
Tony,

No worries mate. Rick and I have an understanding. We both are not afraid to say what we think and both of us agree not to be insulted by it. Of course, we are not going to go out and pick fights either. Hopefully everyone here is a mature adult and can handle the occasional non-pc comment.

This is a good thread as it brings forward many viewpoints. Not all of them will be happy ones. That's why I chose the song I did. It presents a much more peaceful and harmonious place to live. At least to my ears.
Fair enough Andy, thanks.

BigBear

Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:41 am

AndyT wrote:
Rick,
I'm proud of my time in the military. It made me realize something. I love my country but I fear my government.

Excellent point! I feel the same way. Especially right now!!

thereshopeyet

Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:44 am

Thanks

tombo1230

Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:40 am

thereshopeyet wrote:

I'm not really an Anthem person but...

I like the Corries version of Flower of Scotland... but....again..

When you see people singing it as an anthem ... I always think they look bored and uninterested... stumble over it... want to get it out of the way.
It doesn't do anything form me.

Something new would be good to bring Scotland out from the dark ages.

It doesn't make me want o stand up ... that's for sure!
Hi Dermot, if you have ever been to a big football match and are amongst thousands of fans singing our anthem, then I think you might just feel something. I agree the players always look disinterested and not very proud. On the other hand I really hate that whole Corries tartan short bread tin look and sound that the world thinks is the real Scotland. Really unrelated to true life today. It has a place as our national dress, same as the Sombrero and poncho has in Mexico etc......but that's it.
Rant over :)

Chasplaya

Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:35 pm

tombo1230 wrote:
thereshopeyet wrote:

Hi Dermot, if you have ever been to a big football match and are amongst thousands of fans singing our anthem, then I think you might just feel something. I agree the players always look disinterested and not very proud. On the other hand I really hate that whole Corries tartan short bread tin look and sound that the world thinks is the real Scotland. Really unrelated to true life today. It has a place as our national dress, same as the Sombrero and poncho has in Mexico etc......but that's it.
Rant over :)
Did you ever see the Corries live, certainly not Tartan Shortbread tin, very accomplished musicians, like a lot of Scots musos they had to play the 'popular stuff' to make ends meet.

tombo1230

Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:02 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
tombo1230 wrote:
thereshopeyet wrote:
Did you ever see the Corries live, certainly not Tartan Shortbread tin, very accomplished musicians, like a lot of Scots musos they had to play the 'popular stuff' to make ends meet.
I'm sure they are fine musicians never thought otherwise, that's not what bothers me. It's just the image of Scotland portraid in the video I dislike.

Chasplaya

Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:57 am

tombo1230 wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
tombo1230 wrote:
thereshopeyet wrote:

I'm sure they are fine musicians never thought otherwise, that's not what bothers me. It's just the image of Scotland portraid in the video I dislike.
They are or rather were a great duo, I've seen them on numerous occasions met them backstage at two concerts both in Arbroath Webster Hall. Very sad that Roy passed away so young. I used to keep in touch with Ronnie's son Gavin (he runs the Corries web site) And have also had the odd communication with Ronnie, he even sent me a Birthday card a few years back. One of the first concerts I saw they played purely traditional folk not the Shortbread variety and they were great. Once they were discovered by the BBC they went down the wrong road in my opinion, very 'White Heather Club', lol remember that show?

tombo1230

Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:23 am

Chasplaya wrote:
tombo1230 wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
tombo1230 wrote:

They are or rather were a great duo, I've seen them on numerous occasions met them backstage at two concerts both in Arbroath Webster Hall. Very sad that Roy passed away so young. I used to keep in touch with Ronnie's son Gavin (he runs the Corries web site) And have also had the odd communication with Ronnie, he even sent me a Birthday card a few years back. One of the first concerts I saw they played purely traditional folk not the Shortbread variety and they were great. Once they were discovered by the BBC they went down the wrong road in my opinion, very 'White Heather Club', lol remember that show?
I'm afraid the BBC tend to package things like this in a very twee way, partly the London influence and sadly, partly the Scottish influence I think, IMHO. The White Heather Club is still a joke in Scotland as is Thingumy Jig from STV, all those years ago. This is the stuff I detest! Glad to hear you have good memories having met the Corries in person so have a true perspective on them. Johnny Beattie (you may know him) tells me how great the Alexander brothers are and sings their praises, but I really hate their brand of Scottishness, but hey they still make a good living, so somebody likes them!

Tom N.

AndyT

Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:09 am

Tom,
What is 'Twee'?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic