Looking for help on Carole King's It's Too Late

neverfoundthetime

Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:24 pm

Hi Folks! Neil recently looked at converting songs composed for keyboard or piano for the guitar, Ah Ha's Take on Me was the song featured in his lesson. And this is always a very interesting area for me. I'm looking at Carole King's It's Too Late and I got a chord sheet and lyrics and an idea of how I want to play it but I'm having trouble with the instrumental part which uses alternate chords. The ones on the chord sheet didn't seem right to me and I played chords that seemed to be right playing with the record but now I'm not so sure. Anyway, I'm a bit stuck and I'd love to move it on a bit further so I've loaded what I've got so far on the video below (no video of playing, just the mp3 mix) so you can hear what I've done so far. Maybe someone can tell me what the correct chords should be and maybe someone would like to collaborate on this really neat song. It's not really in my vocal range but I wanted to learn it. I could hear Tammy singing this. Hint.

Anyway if you take a listen and have some feedback/advice/suggestions please post here. I stuffed up a couple of chord changes so there are a couple of mistakes as well as maybe a series of wrong chords. And maybe the strumming pattern I'm using doesn't really work either... just let me know gently ;-).
And if you want Neil to make a lesson of this song, please vote for it here: http://www.totallyguitars.com/song-voti ... -late.html

Thanks for listening in!

Problem part is at 1:37 - 1:51 and again at 3:16 - 3:33

These are the chords I was using:

Am7 D6
Stayed in bed all morning just to pass the time
There's something wrong here there can be no denying
Am7 Gm7 Fmaj7
One of us is changing or maybe we've just stopped trying

|[chorus]
| Bbmaj7 Fmaj7
|And it's too late, baby, now it's too late
|Though we really did try to make it
| Bbmaj7 Fmaj7 Dm7 E7sus4 E7
|Something inside has died and I can't hide and I just can't fake it

Am7 D6
It used to be so easy living here with you
You were light and breezy and I knew just what to do
Am7 Gm7 Fmaj7
Now you look so unhappy and I feel like a fool

--chorus--

--instrumental built on alternate chord changes--

Dm7 Fmaj7 G7sus G7 Cmaj7 Fmaj7 Cmaj7 Fmaj7 Not sure about these!

I'm actually using: Cm7 / Fmaj7 / Bbmaj7 / Fmaj7 / Bbmaj7 / Dm7 / E7sus4 / E7 /

Am7 D6
There'll be good times again for me and you
But we just can't stay together don't you feel it too
Am7 Gm7 Fmaj7
Still I'm glad for what we had, and how I once loved you

tovo

Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:30 pm

Hey Chris. I am not at a point where I feel I can make suggestions for chord changes etc but man, that sounds excellent! I REALLY liked your voice in the lower register...I'm wondering if I would have picked it as you if I didn't know. Anyway, that is a beautiful, sad tune and man, I enjoyed listening to your excellent version. You have a wonderful voice. Bravo.

neverfoundthetime

Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:45 pm

Hey thanks Tony! It's difficult for me to get a handle on the singing here as there is a jazzy influence and my ears are not attuned to the subtitles of it yet. I'm not a fan of jazzy stuff either but this is nice. It's also a bit low for me as the higher register is not an option on this one. It's one of those where the guitar sounds right in this key but the singing is hard to do but I think I can get there if I stick at it and begin to hear it a bit better... which is why I seek help on the chords.
Thanks for listening in.

willem

Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:58 am

Hi Chris,,i like really what you doing here,,,i don't really think i can help,,but looked at some sheetmusic(parts),,,i think the key is Am(Carol King),,but saw one from Bett Midler and is in D..maybe capo up..

Jazzy feel,,when i listen i feel a more bossa nova,,,

I can't help with the chords you looking for,,but maybe i got a suggestion on the strumming and think to do that as in ''more then words'''..

I THINK YOU SAW THIS..

neverfoundthetime

Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:34 am

Hi Willem, no I hadn't seen that video. He does a good job on it like that.
Bossa nova has samba and jazz influences, I believe, so maybe we are both hearing something related in this song.
Thanks for your input! I can see he's playing similar chords to me but he's capoed up 2 frets and the singing is much better here.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:15 pm

Just to ask you again that if you think this could be a cool lesson please vote here: www.totallyguitars.com/song-voting/deta ... -late.html

Thanks to those who have already voted for it... including Neil... that has to be a good start! :-).

MarkM

Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:22 pm

Chris,

I'd be very interested in how you work this song out. Great song indeed. I think you have the main chord structure down but like you not sure of that particular section. I'll have to give this a few more listen throughs. I think this would be great with two guitars. One playing as you are here and another doing some runs and hammerons/pull offs. That's what I hear in my head anyway. I'll go vote for this lesson now.

MarkM

Chasplaya

Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:35 pm

Chris can't really help with your request I note Willem has posted a video I thought might be useful but unfortunate you can't see the guys fret hand very well, there are a few others on YT. I also note you've been to Chordie so nothing from that avenue either. You got my vote at least.

Music Junkie

Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:28 pm

Chris: I am horrible at this kind of stuff, so I certainly can't be of much assistance. I do like the idea of a lesson on this classic though, along with "So Far Away", "Jazz Man", "Sweet Seasons", etc. Other piano/keyboard songs would include "100 Years" by Five for Fighting, "Goodbye Girl" by David Gates and many others.

I do have to say that you seem to have a great start. The chords sound good so far. Tammy WOULD make a good go at this......hint doubled...... ;)

J

willem

Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:34 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
Chris can't really help with your request I note Willem has posted a video I thought might be useful but unfortunate you can't see the guys fret hand very well, there are a few others on YT. I also note you've been to Chordie so nothing from that avenue either. You got my vote at least.

I did post the video 'cos i thought he played the chords mensiond by Chris ,,but capo'd up so the key would be D,,but thinkin in Am(or C) ,knowing the key could help to find the chords,,,oh i liked also the diffrent stummings the guy did....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic