Some Thoughts About Gigging

wrench

Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:20 am

In 2-1/2 years, I have really enjoyed watching TG members develop, and learning where the musical journey takes them. I am satisfied with my progress, and I have posted a few TG videos. But I never played for an audience other than my family (who could care less if I play or not), played outside of my house, or ever played a gig. Until last Saturday. My sister-in-law, who once overheard one of my original compositions on the telephone, asked if I would play it live for her at the annual family picnic. I agreed, but when it was time to play, it was clear she had a bigger concept of playing than I did. So I found myself planted in vicious sunlight perched on an uncomfortable canvas chair, and surrounded by about 30-40 in-laws, all of whom I don't really know. So the stage for my first gig was set. Nothing left to do but play. And play I did, not real well, but I played about a dozen or so songs over the next hour.

So what did I learn?
1. Match the set to the occasion. Family picnics want upbeat background music, not melancholy solos.
2. It really is OK when you make a mistake. I made several, and got no flak from the crowd.
3. Plug in. Acoustic guitars just aren't loud enough to cover Indian Lake.
4. Practice your set, and bring your sheet music, whether you think you need it or not. I didn't think I needed it. I did.

I don't see myself gigging often, if at all, but I have been going to local open mic nights trying to drum up business. After my own experience, I observe the following lessons from some of the performers I saw:
1. If you sing, it doesn't matter how you play. The better you can sing, the worse you can play.
2. If you don't sing, don't play alone, either. Just doesn't make enough noise for a restaurant or bar.
3. Plug in. Acoustic mics alone just don't cut it in a noisy venue.
4. Don't stop or take a do-over for a mistake. Just keep playing. The crowd can't get over this, but forgives an occasion missed note.
5. Take your best playing, not your best sounding, guitar. Its acoustic qualities don't matter against an electronic pickup and a 2,000 watt PA.
6. Play simple. I havent seen a chord in two weeks whose name didn't end in a capital letter. Saw a lot of capo use, though.

I never thought much about the public performing aspect of guitar, but I'm really having fun exploring it. So for my esteemed TG colleagues who have gigged, I ask you simply, what did you learn?

willem

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:46 am

wrench wrote:
In 2-1/2 years, I have really enjoyed watching TG members develop, and learning where the musical journey takes them. I am satisfied with my progress, and I have posted a few TG videos. But I never played for an audience other than my family (who could care less if I play or not), played outside of my house, or ever played a gig. Until last Saturday. My sister-in-law, who once overheard one of my original compositions on the telephone, asked if I would play it live for her at the annual family picnic. I agreed, but when it was time to play, it was clear she had a bigger concept of playing than I did. So I found myself planted in vicious sunlight perched on an uncomfortable canvas chair, and surrounded by about 30-40 in-laws, all of whom I don't really know. So the stage for my first gig was set. Nothing left to do but play. And play I did, not real well, but I played about a dozen or so songs over the next hour.

So what did I learn?
1. Match the set to the occasion. Family picnics want upbeat background music, not melancholy solos.
2. It really is OK when you make a mistake. I made several, and got no flak from the crowd.
3. Plug in. Acoustic guitars just aren't loud enough to cover Indian Lake.
4. Practice your set, and bring your sheet music, whether you think you need it or not. I didn't think I needed it. I did.

I don't see myself gigging often, if at all, but I have been going to local open mic nights trying to drum up business. After my own experience, I observe the following lessons from some of the performers I saw:
1. If you sing, it doesn't matter how you play. The better you can sing, the worse you can play.
2. If you don't sing, don't play alone, either. Just doesn't make enough noise for a restaurant or bar.
3. Plug in. Acoustic mics alone just don't cut it in a noisy venue.
4. Don't stop or take a do-over for a mistake. Just keep playing. The crowd can't get over this, but forgives an occasion missed note.
5. Take your best playing, not your best sounding, guitar. Its acoustic qualities don't matter against an electronic pickup and a 2,000 watt PA.
6. Play simple. I havent seen a chord in two weeks whose name didn't end in a capital letter. Saw a lot of capo use, though.

I never thought much about the public performing aspect of guitar, but I'm really having fun exploring it. So for my esteemed TG colleagues who have gigged, I ask you simply, what did you learn?
What i learn is be prepared and then i talk a baut the meeting with my two other TG friends,,just take each a song that you like and study that for the weeks left before the meeting and never think ''oh that second part of the song is the same as the first part'''but it came together,,if you have problems with the song from the other,just ask how he/she does it and yes take everything with you,,mikes,cables,sheet music,,EVERYTHING..
when you not play alone you can make a mistake(you mus'nt,but if) and yes play it simple,,well if someone can do some riffs or bass walks that would be nice,maybe your self..i am very happy to strum or pick the whole pattern(so they have a nome),,practice also singin(when you do) and playing plugged in at home it is a kinda diffrent in your ears,,and every other place is diffrent too so do some warm ups and soundcheck,,well it is nice to do and can wait for a third time(curious what we play then),,,i have the possibilty to play and try out with friends and just making fun..but it would be nice to meet someone by accident ''hey guitar,yeah me too,,lets pond away''

snipe

Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:24 pm

Wrench,

Never done a gig. Maybe some day. Reading about your expierence is inspirational though! Thanks
Mike

lueders

Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:53 pm

Wrench,

This is a very useful report! Based on my passive & sporadic scouting for open mic venues.... I think you're right
on the money with 99.9% of what you suggest. Being a someone who can't sing or at least can't currently sing
...I have played a lot of attention to how much more flubbing, and many musical limitations someone with great
pipes can get away with. It is ridiculous, really! Also, I think you are dead on about your set-list advice. With a
mixed crowd at a family picnic or reunion, that is an environment that is probably closer to a dance at the
V.W.W. or the American Legion building. So you had better play some recognizable top-forty dance stuff from
a range of decades/ genres. If it is a whole bunch of people that don't know you. You had better make sure
they at least know the music. Better pull out the Buddy Holley, and the "Old Time Rock N' Roll"

I live in a hamlet of college town that has a large student body. If Krista and I go play in one of these bars or
coffee shops one of these days. We will likely be able to get away with being a little more arty-farty in our set
list selection. Sure, these college venues got their stuff they wanna hear too. But, as long as you give 'em
a Death Cab & a Damien Rice, or a Dave Mathews tune you can mix in a Smokestack Lightning , Zep's
Tangerine, or possibly even an original or two. Or, you could do some weird of-kilter spoken word deal just to
keep 'em guessing. Those kind of crowds are usually more open to something "New", strange or unique.

This is is off topic, but I would be curious to know what you do for a living,Wrench. Because, you're one heck of
a researcher & analytical thinker!!! A while back you posted a follow up to a post about tuning...Your personal
knowledge of acoustical properties of sound & harmonics was mind-blowing!

* Also, will you please post your original(s) ? I would love to see/hear it!!!

tovo

Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:30 pm

Wrench it's great to see a post from you.

Like Mike, I've never played in public really. I'm finding though that I have fewer nerves when playing with other people and that is definitely a result of activities here on TG and also just seeking out friends to play with. I do have my sights set on the challenge of an audience and your advice is really useful. I'll be going back over it.

Cheers mate.

michelew

Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:39 pm

I thought this thread was going to be about GIGGLING ... haha ... which BTW I'm all in favour of hearing and doing; I'm a big fan. :laugh:

Gigging - Well I've never really done it. So I have nothing to offer here.

Thanks for the tips Wrench.

M.

wrench

Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:03 pm

Willem - I couldn't agree more about preparing. Perhaps a lesson for me would be if I didn't know I was gigging, then don't gig! I noticed a lady I saw last night took a thick binder to the stage with her. She asked for song requests, and was ready for every one of them.

Mike - I can't believe you never played a gig. Dust up on some Tull and go for it, my friend. It's a rush, and I know you're ready for it.

Cori - I will take your advice on song selection. It sounds like you scoped out the open mic scene pretty well. You hit pay dirt with the Buddy Holley comment, too. I was working on Vincent, which I think is a beautiful song. My wife can't stand it, or anything that doesn't have a 50's doo-wop beat. I arranged a version of Vincent with a 50's beat, and play it with a pick on a dreadnought. Now she loves it, but I can't stand it! That song turned out to be the crowd favorite at my impromptu "gig". The singing aspect really has me spooked. There isn't much danger I will ever sing. And I do mean danger! But folks who can sing well really only need marginal accompaniment. If they play too well, it steals some of the captivation of their singing. I saw a very experienced fellow this week, about 75 years old with lots and lots of snow white hair. The guy's voice was a dead ringer for Willie Nelson. He played about 10 Nelson/hobo/train tunes, and was lightly playing a Martin D-18. In the middle of his set, he signaled the stage guy to turn down the volume of his guitar. Hands down the most talented guy I've seen play locally, and just barely audible was the right amount of guitar for him. I guess for gigging, the secret password is "sing eclectic".

What I do for a living these days is spend my savings. American industry disposed of me in December 2009, and is in no mood to hire 57 year olds. Tucked away in my past, though, was a mechanical engineering background with 10 years analyzing machinery vibration. I spent all my spare time during unemployment studying luthiery, and doing research on acoustic guitars from the vibration analysis perspective. I built a guitar surgery center in my garage, and if I don't find a job soon, I'll be trying to make a living changing strings.

The original composition wasn't a very complicated piece, but yes, I will post it soon. I've been needing to dust off the camera and get some stuff recorded, so this is a great nudge. I know you're a fan of original pieces.

Tony - You have so much charisma. I think a great approach for you is to engage the audience and interact with them. I say go for it. Let me say this - every member of TG I have ever seen post a video plays more than well enough to backup an open mic singer, but if you're a big green crooner, you can be the hit of the night.

wrench

wrench

Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:17 pm

michelew wrote:
I thought this thread was going to be about GIGGLING ... haha ... which BTW I'm all in favour of hearing and doing; I'm a big fan. :laugh:

Gigging - Well I've never really done it. So I have nothing to offer here.

Thanks for the tips Wrench.

M.
No worries, Michele. GIGGING + BEER = GIGGLING, and who's not a fan of giggling and beer? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

wrench

willem

Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:25 am

wrench wrote:
What I do for a living these days is spend my savings. American industry disposed of me in December 2009, and is in no mood to hire 57 year olds. Tucked away in my past, though, was a mechanical engineering background with 10 years analyzing machinery vibration. I spent all my spare time during unemployment studying luthiery, and doing research on acoustic guitars from the vibration analysis perspective. I built a guitar surgery center in my garage, and if I don't find a job soon, I'll be trying to make a living changing strings.

to dust off the camera and get some stuff recorded, so this is a great nudge. I know you're a fan of original pieces.

Tony - You have so much charisma. I think a great approach for you is to engage the audience and interact with them. I say go for it. Let me say this - every member of TG I have ever seen post a video plays more than well enough to backup an open mic singer, but if you're a big green crooner, you can be the hit of the night.

wrench[/quote]

So you anylisis every vid here and write a book in future,,i must agree with you a baut Tony,,he would be a hit,you anylis that well,,looking forward to your original

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:41 am

Dan, you have totally exposed me to the world! :-). You are right, folks don't notice that I can hardly play the guitar.

And you have hit the nail on the head with many of the points you make especially about plugging in. If you haven't tried it, you have no idea how quiet your playing really is in a room full of people. And your very astute remark on bringing sheet music with you is spot on: when you face an expectant crowd, you need back up as a black out is very easily triggered by slight or great stress. I take copies of the songs I play to distribute to the crowd as they will then sing along and have less reason to notice my so so playing!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic