Anybody uses a Karaoke software?

Lavallee

Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:16 pm

Hi all, not being anywhere close to a singer but wanting to learn (no matter what pain I am causing to my environment), I was wondering if a karaoke software could help. I am working on a song right now and I find very difficult to get the phrasing using a sheet and trying to sing along with the song. It is difficult because I am not learning the song while playing (maybe I am not patient enough).

Anyway I found on YouTube a video of the lyrics with the text being written with the song in the background. As the words are sung the text changes color so you always know where you are in the song . For those who sings it is most likely trivial. I think it would also help to learn faster the lyrics.

I think Chris uses something like that, but any inputs will be appreciated

Thanks

Marc

tovo

Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi Marc,

I know the scrolling words that change colour from my couple of Karaoke attempts. I found them very difficult actually. I sure didn't find that it helped me with the phrasing because I was so busy trying to sync with the words as they changed colour..it was a disaster!

I think you can't beat listening to the tune and working out some key words to go with key changes. If you wanted my advice (which I guess you do since you asked) I would say leave the Karaoke software alone. BUT, if you try it and find it helps then that's great for you.

Lavallee

Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:13 pm

Thanks Tony for your reply, you are probably right that reading the text is not the easiest way. Following the key change seems simple when the phrase starts at that moment, but I am working on Long cool woman in a black dress and the new phrase often starts while still in the previous phrase/chords. So I thought it would help if I would see where it starts.

I might have to go back to memorizing everything. Maybe there are other tools...

Marc

willem

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:55 am

Hi Marc,,when i was on my own to figure out the guitar i did use also karaoke software in a midi form (vanbasco karaoke player) on the net you can find plenty of this midi's and when the producer add some lyrics to it(not alway's) you can read them along with the music and you can also put the speed down..i used this program together with an other midi writting program (noteworthycomposer) i could put the vanbasco midi in noteworthycomposer and then i could see the notes written out,, now i don't do that anymore...it is now Gpro6..

this is an example for what i did with noteworthycomposer,,when you write a song in noteworthycomposer(notes and lyrics) you can also put it in vanbasco and then you have your karoke version

Lavallee

Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:42 am

Thank you very much Willem , I will have a look.

Marc

daryl

Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:11 pm

Marc

Have you considered buying the Karaoke track? Sound Choice has music so perfect you will be hard pressed to tell it from the original.

I never looked at the screen; worst thing you can do.

I loved to sing "Your Song" by Elton and Bernie. I put a tape in my player and while I drove from place to place (working), I sang the song hundreds of times. The Sound Choice version is exactly the same and one can get the phrasing down perfectly with lots of practice. I did this with about forty or fifty songs and memorized the lyrics to each. Now, I know this is piano but I did Lightfoot, Croce, Strait and many others who were mainly guitar.

You can buy these songs individually for a couple of bucks and burn them to CD or tape.

I know this didn't answer your question, but it might be worth considering.

Sam

silvereagles

Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:18 pm

I know this is a very old post but I started singing karaoke before playing the guitar. The best way to learn the song is on website called singsnap.com. It's a karaoke site that allows you to record and post on the web 1000's of song. If you buy a membership, there are a lot of songs for free, just don't know how many.

I've been on singsnap since 2009....

Dennis

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic