The search for meaning: Why is Russell Morris soaring with the eagles?

michelew

Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:24 pm

Hi y'all,

Cori got me thinking about lyrics with his Steven Stills thread. So here is something that's currently puzzling me. The first bit is reproduced from my response Cori's thread.

I've been playing an Aussie song recently "On the Wings of an Eagle". I'm having trouble with the singing because I don't get part of it. The lyrics are basically sad (surprise!) but the chorus "On the wings of an eagle I find myself lifted to the sky, lifted up for all the world to see." feels like it should be cheery and lifting out of the gloom, but I'm missing how he gets from depressed and help your brother who's in pain to I'm flying high.

Sorry it takes 15 seconds to get into the song, but I found the flashback to the 70s a trip too.

I actually started learning this song because the chorus feels uplifting and is fun to sing.

So thoughts? How does Russell get from gloom to lifted to the skies? Was he chemically assisted?

Have I misunderstood the chorus? Perhaps it's not cheery after all. Later versions do sound more somber.

Maybe it's just that he's watching the birds flying and that lifts him. If that's it, then I get it. But, then the 'brother crawling' bit.....

So what do you hear?

Ta

Michele

Lyrics

The Wings Of An Eagle by Russell Morris

[Verse 1]

Well I'm looking up at an overcast sky in the morning
I can't hear the warning as it calls to you
As the birds migrate and the wind is raised
I'll see the eagle soaring
Although I'm just a pawn in nature's game like you
Wah hoo wah hoo, wah hoo ...

[Chorus]

On the wings of an eagle I find myself lifted through the skies
Lifted up above the world to see
Can you see me? Can you see me?

[Verse 2]

As the days roll on and the nights get long
The changing of the seasons
And the falling autumn leaves they bring me down
They bring me down, they bring me down

[Instrumental]

[Verse 3]

Do you lose your way in the middle of the day
Do you see your brother crawling?
And all the while he's calling out for help from you?
Wah hoo wah hoo, wah hoo ...

[Chorus]

neverfoundthetime

Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:05 pm

Hi Shel,
I think he's just a little confused and limited in his writing.
Like James Blunt below.How the hell that all adds up to his life being brilliant and fitting in with his plan **** knows!
Any any song with a wooo woo woo or (as James Blunt has it, Awoo, like a freekin Warewolf) ain't going to be sung at anyone's funeral!

My life is brilliant.
My love is pure.
I saw an angel.
Of that I'm sure.
She smiled at me on the subway.
She was with another man.
But I won't lose no sleep on that,
'Cause I've got a plan.

You're beautiful. You're beautiful.
You're beautiful, it's true.
I saw your face in a crowded place,
And I don't know what to do,
'Cause I'll never be with you.

Yeah, she caught my eye,
As we walked on by.
She could see from my face that I was,
Flying high, [ - video/radio edited version]
Fucking high, [ - CD version]
And I don't think that I'll see her again,
But we shared a moment that will last till the end.

Blah blah blah ...

And I don't know what to do,
'Cause I'll never be with you.

Duh!

neverfoundthetime

Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:12 pm

...and How Russel Morris will see the Eagle soaring on an overcast day, is a mystery to me.

Maybe a joint in one hand and a pen in the other, doesn't make for congruent lyrics! It was 1972, after all. ;-)

tovo

Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:15 pm

Hi Shel,

Great to hear you are playing Russell Morris. He was/is a really influential artist in Australia n the late 60`s/early 70`s.

Here`s my take on this tune:

This is a guy who is struggling with things in his life. He struggles not only with his own problems, but is affected by what he sees around him. Events that trouble him but he has no control over. He fights for perspective. Note the line "do you lose your way in the middle of the day, do you see your brother crawling"

As you pointed out, the tune is sad. Much of it describes his loneliness and feelings of isolation.

So the chorus to you seems out of place. "On the wings of an eagle I find myself lifted up above, lifted up above the World to see".

As he reflects on his own sadness and the sadness around him, he looks to the sky. He imagines seeing the world from afar. imagines being removed from his reality to one that provides him a much broader, deliciously removed perspective on the World. "lifted up above it".

That`s how I see it. Russell Morris might laugh at my interpretation. That matters little to me. That`s how I chose to interpret it and as a result it resonates very strongly with me. You may interpret it totally differently.

thereshopeyet

Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:19 pm

Thanks

neverfoundthetime

Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:20 pm

That's a good point Tony makes about the isolation of being up with the Eagle ... they are not known for their Tupperware parties!

lueders

Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:39 pm

Michele,

So far what I got is.. this song is existential as hell! We're "nature's pawns" the "the falling leaves" bring him down... :(

I think what he is essentially trying to get across is: WE are merely a part of mother nature's predetermined plan.
Circumstances are ever-changing around us. Time is fleeting. But that is all okay. :)
Because there is beauty in that clarity of vision. And when the eagle
comes in, I believe that represents the divine moment of clarity and being at ease with it all...

Either that or he decided he needed to make the verses happy as hell, after those melon collie, downer verses! LOL!

* The brother line(s) just doesn't seem to fit anywhere...I'm with you. Seems quite misplaced!

Cori

michelew

Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:53 pm

Tony[/b -] I like your interruption. It makes a lot of sense. But, the brother line still gets me. BTW - I was considering starting a 'Busking Aussie' songs thread in the hope that you and others might put up some good Aussie songs (I'd even accept pseudo-Aussie songs - Kiwi).

Chris - Yep, those James Blunt lyrics are a bit.... well he has a plan. And I'm thinking Russell has ignored the 'Keep off the grass" sign too.

Dermot - that's nice. Thanks

Cori - I'm glad you see my point. The 'woo hoo' after the brother line gets me the most.

And what is it about miserable songs?

tovo

Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:01 pm

You're talking about the line:

"Do you lose your way in the middle of the day
Do you see your brother crawling?
And all the while he's calling out for help from you?
Wah hoo wah hoo, wah hoo ..."

This is the part that I see as a commentary of sorts on the troubles of the World. He wants to help...but feels helpless. Hadn't really thought about the "wah hoo"...but note it is "wah hoo" not "woo hoo" (implying something to cheer about).

Nice idea on the Australian themed song thread.

michelew

Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:06 pm

Hmm... OK Tony, I hear you. That could be it indeed. Then the whole song is depressing. Well ...damn! chalk up another thoroughly depressing song in my song book. What a shock!

Ok - off to listen to "Walking on Sunshine".

Thanks everyone.

I'm still open to more interruptions.

Ta

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic