TG Lessons; poss improvements

tex8612

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:26 pm

I'm newly retired and am trying to learn acoustic guitar. I had a teacher who wasn't very good. As I searched the Internet, I found Totally Guitars and it has been a Godsend, and I really enjoy it. I have some small suggestions, and please forgive me if they have been posted and discussed before my arrival here. When I access the Lessons portion of the site, it seems that the 1, 2, 3, etc. gradations for song difficulty could be enhanced with additions, such as but not limited to: C=Capo necessary. B=Barr required. Also, is there a suggested progression through TG for the truly first-time beginner; ie., which are the lessons I need to pay attention to before graduating to other lessons/techniques/skills? I'd like to know that I'm following a logical path and that I'm not wasting time by opening a lesson that requires me to perform steps that I haven't "mastered" yet. Thank you, Tex8612

tovo

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:55 pm

Hey Tex. I think your suggestion is a good one, although that's no prerequisite! :)

Good luck with your learning. I think it's a good idea to progress at your own pace as well. Those tougher techniques are really worth the effort because for example, being able to play barre chords just opens up the world of playing so much. It sounds to me that you have a sensible approach anyway. I think this is your first post? Perhaps head over to the "Introduce Yourself" section and tell us a bit more about yourself.

Cheers.

Tony

jimlard

Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:03 am

Hello Tex, I am new to the site and at beginner level also. Through other peoples kind suggestions on the forum I went through the 'Beginners Genius' lessons first which I found really helpful. I am now working my way through the 'Mauro Giuliani Right Hand Studies' by Hector Garcia which is helping me a lot with familiarising myself with string positions, which fingers should be doing what, also changing chord whilst keeping the right hand going which I have found really difficult.
But, as someone said to me on this forum, playing guitar should be fun too so at the moment I am trying to do 30 minutes on the right hand studies followed by a few easy songs each day. I find myself picking the guitar up (when I am at home) through the day anyway for a quick strum, in fact I am finding it hard to put it down at the moment.
I hope this has been of some help to you.
Cheers
Jim.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:01 am

Welcome Tex (you must be from NY or somewhere, I guess ;-)) so glad you found TG... you will have a ball here, friendly folks, fantastic lessons, great site facilities.
Definitely fly by the beginners course and then try out any lesson you fancy.. motivation is everything. getting to grips with 4 or 5 standard open chords will take you a long way, then there are the strumming and picking patterns to get used to (start simple) before you go near barre chords which are slightly more demanding but they do eventually succumb to hours of practice.

I hope you have one of those bumper stickers on your car: Retired and spending my kid's inheritance!
:-) Chris

BigBear

Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:58 pm

Tex- Big welcome from the Left Coast in Oregon where the idiots here still Obama is doing a good job. Ooops! Sorry, I promised myself no political commentary. Never mind.

You will quickly learn which songs you can play with the tools you've mastered but Neil's numbering system is just a rough guide. There are Level 7's I can play pretty easy and Level 4's and 5's that give me fits. I honestly can't tell you why although the fingerings get trickier the higher the level.

I highly recommend you constantly try to play songs that are a level or two harder than you think you can play. Push yourself to the next level. If you put fleas in a jar and put a piece of glass over the jar, when you remove it the fleas will never jump higher than the top of the jar. They could jump higher put they are trained to only jump a certain height. Don't learn the guitar like a flea!! Learn no limits!

Happy playin' and Cheers! :cheer:

dennisg

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:17 pm

Tex,

On behalf of all the people who think this is a guitar site and not a place to dispense political rants and personal attacks, I want to apologize for the previous post. I also want to assure you that the sort of meanness and disingenuousness displayed in that post isn't an example of what you're likely to find here on a daily basis. You're far more likely to find excellent guitar lessons and friendly, helpful people who accept everyone's differences with grace and humility.

BigBear

Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:21 am

dennisg wrote:
Tex,

On behalf of all the people who think this is a guitar site and not a place to dispense political rants and personal attacks, I want to apologize for the previous post. I also want to assure you that the sort of meanness and disingenuousness displayed in that post isn't an example of what you're likely to find here on a daily basis. You're far more likely to find excellent guitar lessons and friendly, helpful people who accept everyone's differences with grace and humility.

Oh Dennis, lighten up!! If I need to apologize I'll do it for myself. I certainly don't need your help! It was simply a cheap shot at this state that lives in perpetual clulessness. My family came to Oregon on the Oregon Trail and I'm embarrassed by what its become so if I feel the need to comment on MY state I will do so freely without being judged, again, by you! Thank you very much!

So climb down off your sanctimonious platform and have a laugh once in a while. Politics isn't that serious!! And since my comments weren't directed at you, or anyone on this site, please feel free to keep your comments to yourself. I was having a bit of harmless fun. A concept you seem unfamiliar with. Sheesh! :lol:

wiley

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:56 am

o this.

dennisg

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:19 am

BigBear wrote:
dennisg wrote:
Tex,

Oh Dennis, lighten up!! If I need to apologize I'll do it for myself. I certainly don't need your help! It was simply a cheap shot at this state that lives in perpetual clulessness. My family came to Oregon on the Oregon Trail and I'm embarrassed by what its become so if I feel the need to comment on MY state I will do so freely without being judged, again, by you! Thank you very much!

So climb down off your sanctimonious platform and have a laugh once in a while. Politics isn't that serious!! And since my comments weren't directed at you, or anyone on this site, please feel free to keep your comments to yourself. I was having a bit of harmless fun. A concept you seem unfamiliar with. Sheesh! :lol:
It's exactly because you DON'T ever feel a need to apologize for your hostile posts that I feel a need to assure new users that not everyone here is as mean-spirited and self-destructive as you are, Rick. There's nothing even remotely funny about your politically charged mudslingings. And the fact that you now want to call them jokes is just your passive-aggressive way of running away from the responsibility of having insulted people. And, really, Rick -- I seem unfamiliar with the concept of having fun in this forum? It's now clear you'll just say anything. It's also clear that you just can't control yourself.

tex8612

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:19 am

Thanks! I do want to learn and I know that the tougher techniques are worth the effort. But I don't want to "set myself up for failure" by attempting too much, too early.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic