Paul simon's thoughts on songwriting.

beaker

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:50 pm

Hello TG'ers,
I usually don't post the cool stuff I find on You Tube but this one I could not resist. It is a very interesting interview for any Paul Simon fan's or really anyone with a deep interest in music. I only wish some of the other great musicians of the world would open up like this. Keep in mind, all seven segments are very much worth watching. That is for sure. My impression is that Paul Simon did not relish this interview. It seems like the interviewer's questions irritated him, so my best guess is that he decided to not do the normal question and answer thing and instead decided to just take over and run with it so he would not be asked any more questions. This interview is like a master class in songwriting.

I hope everyone's musical journey is going well! All the best, Beaker.

tovo

Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:55 pm

Hey Beaker. I've watched the 1st and will watch the rest when I'm not supposed to be working! Gotta say...how annoying is the interviewer? They would have been better off putting him on stage alone and let him talk. That aside...agree it's fascinating to hear his recollections and thanks for posting it. (I don't hold you responsible for the interviewer by the way! :) )

beaker

Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:18 pm

Tony, trust me, the other segments get better as he goes along. I think by the end you will see what I mean.... he seems to just take over and let his thoughts wander and not be so bothered by actually answering questions. And then he picks up the guitar and plays a few times to demonstrate some of what he is talking about.

tovo

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:35 am

Looking forward to watching.

pbraun

Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:48 am

Well that was most interesting, a lesson in song writing. I could only imagine writing something as "simple" as the Girl For Me like he did at 12 years old. This was really a great post.
Pete

neverfoundthetime

Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:10 am

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Beaker! I love to hear song writers show and tell.

Yep, the interviewer had me pissed off in the first 30 seconds. Sounds like a primary teacher with kindergarden kids. Paul is right, a "what's it like?" question is just about the stupidest thing you can ask... and he lets her know about it!

dennisg

Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:09 pm

I don't have a single problem with the interviewer. I found her to be unobtrusive (unlike many interviewers who constantly insert themselves into the spotlight) and her questions to be reasonable. The fact that Paul Simon is uncomfortable with "What's it like" questions doesn't make it a bad question. In fact, as much as he fumbled around with it in the beginning (and unfortunately wasn't able to articulate what the experience of looking through his song catalog was like), the question ultimately led to some fascinating stuff. I think the question was very, very answerable, and I'm surprised he didn't anticipate it being asked. As much respect as I have for Paul Simon's incredible song-writing talent, frankly I'm stunned that he isn't able to put into words what the experience is like of seeing his life captured in a book of his songs.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:00 pm

Well Dennis, we are used to holding opposing ends of the same stick so nothing new there. The interview moves on well as she says less and less and he is able to express himself more and more in his own terms as he explains how his music comes together. He made perfect sense to me describing how he does what he does and it is obviously difficult for him to verbalise it... but that's the bit which entirely makes sense to me. I loved how he describes that he has no idea what the song is about nor where it is going at the beginning and that he doesn't want to know it... and then it starts to form and he realises what it going to be about.

tovo

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:43 pm

To expand a little, it was the interviewers "kindergarten" manner and her over the top guffaws in response to just about everything he said that put me off. He was great.

thereshopeyet

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:59 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic