Microphone Suggestion?

webtvdan

Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:31 pm

Played finger-picking acoustic solos at a friend’s winery for the first time last Saturday. Had a great time. I have less than an hour’s repertoire of songs. We didn’t think that would be an issue as most people don’t stay long and then visit another winery in the Livermore valley.

I had several people take a seat in front of me and ask if I took requests (I don’t) and then just ask about a genre i.e. “a classical tune”, etc. I had fun!

I’m thinking if I sang a couple of songs in addition to the finger-picking solos - my performance wouldn’t be so repetitive. Which requires I buy a microphone. It needs to have a guitar-like phono plug and not XLR.

I’ve noticed a variety of Microphones in the Busking and the Member Video’s for Neil’s Review.

I have a Blue Yeti THX-Certified USB Microphone for making my YouTube videos – wish I had purchased a multipurpose microphone now. My vocal range is less than two octaves. I’ve attached a video of my rendition of “Where Have All the Flowers Gone”.

I’ve not yet been paid for playing – doesn’t make sense to spend too much on a microphone.

The obvious choice is a Shure SM58.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan

dennisg

Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:41 pm

You can't go wrong with the Shure you mentioned -- excellent mic and very good at rejecting ambient noise, which would be a blessing in a winery's tasting room where people are milling around, chatting, and spitting. it's also a very affordable mic. It will have an XLR connector, but you can always buy an adapter for a quarter-inch jack.

BigBear

Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:42 pm

Dan- I'm a big fan of Behringer microphones. They can get spendy but their B-1 series is awesome in my opinion. Much better than the horrible noises I inject into it!

Check out Guitar Center or Musician's Friend. I got mine at Guitar Center.

Good luck and congrats on a great gig! Did you "taste" their wine before, during or after your show? Or all three? LOL! I would have needed an IV.

Cheers! :cheer:

dsmarion

Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:59 pm

Shure SM58 is a very good choice imho. Been using them for years.

Scott

wiley

Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:12 pm

wiley

Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:24 pm

webtvdan

Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:45 pm

Wiley,

If I buy the Shure, I’ll get a new microphone. I’m not opposed to buying a more expensive one used on eBay. I need a switch – hadn’t thought of that. As Dennisg pointed out - a winery is very noisy place, although after several years of pouring one Saturday a month, I’ve never witnessed anyone spitting out their wine.

BigBear - after a thorough repeated scientific investigation - I’ve determined alcohol does not improve my finger-picking ability. Definitely tasted the wine at the end of the day.

My small Crate Acoustic amp has two channels – both unbalance with just 1/4 phono plug inputs.

AcousticAl

Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:46 pm

Both MarkM and myself have the e835.

Excellent mic IMHO.

Hydroman52

Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:56 pm

Hey Dan,

If you are taking the mic outside of your house or studio, I would go with a dynamic over a condenser. I use both types and you are asking for problems in a noisy environment with a condenser. They pick up everything! They also require phantom power which tends to complicate things and they are more delicate. For dynamic mics, I've been using Shure SM58 for vocals and SM57 to mic guitars. There may be better choices for sound, but I want the least likely to break, and they are pretty durable. Make sure you put your name on them, because there are so many of them out there. If it gets mix in with others gear in the shuffle, you may not get yours back. They all tend to look alike.

I have used XLR to XLR cables and XLR to 1/4" depending on what input jack options have been available. XLR to XLR is preferred. I have a Crate amp that will take either. I think it is a Telluride. Also, have a Bose L1 Series 2 with the T1 mixer that seems to work good with the Shure mics, too. It's all adequate for what I am doing.

Bassman Jerry uses the SM58 and has used it on the road for many years without problems.

Hope this helps,

Hydroman52

tombo1230

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:26 am

The Shure SM58 is an ideal mic'. Whatever you buy make sure it is sturdy!

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic