How do you transition from "just playing" to performing?

daryl

Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:36 pm

Shel, Like I mentioned to Sam (If you Could Read My Mind)....just have the camera rolling all the time....soon you will forget that it's there....or you will know that it's still there but that it doesn't matter that it is.....the beauty with todays videos is that they are so easily deleted and redone....the point is the camera is nothing.....it's just you and your guitar and your song.....play for yourself.....and maybe the camera will capture it....or maybe not......just enjoy the ride!

michelew

Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:07 pm

Thanks guys. All good points and good advice.

Daryl, I have been doing that for some time (the camera trick) and it really works. Den suggested it when I first got to TG and I've been trying to put it into practice ever since.

Just for the record, I'm not having a crisis of confidence here. I just thought that this would make a good discussion topic.

I figure we've all noticed, are doing and are trying to do different things and that comparing notes might help those of us that arent there yet to improve. You know, knowledge is power...

All good. I'm enjoying myself, even while freaking out, so there's no problem here

Thanks

Michele

sws626

Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:30 pm

I have no wisdom to share, but I'm really glad you raised this question, Michele, and hope this thread generates further discussion. I like the broad way you've defined performance.
-Stuart

AndyT

Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:58 pm

I'm far from any level of professional, but I've performed a number of times. It's usually been as part of a group and it's a whole different dynamic.

In a group, the audience thinks it's the other guy that missed the change and played a G instead of an F.
In a group, the audience is looking at the singer, not the guitar player.
In a group, it's ok to mess up because the rest of the band will cover it up.

When I perform alone, it's an entirely different world.

Alone, when I mess up, I blame it on the rest of the band not being there. The audience laughs.
Alone, I have to do the intro to the song and I'm free to 'color' their expectations.
Alone, I think I've sung every note as sour as possible, even though the audience says otherwise.

Pretty much what I've discovered is that the audience wants to 'experience' the music, not just listen to it. A quick story about it beforehand always gives them a hook to latch onto as they listen and makes the music have more meaning to them. If I can tell them something in the intro that gets them to smile or nod, then I know they will likely enjoy my rendition of it. the job of a performer is to engage the audience and make them a part of it. A player only does this for him/herself.

lueders

Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:49 pm

You got another great thread going here Michele! :) You've got more creative threading ideas than a knitting circle! I guess maybe you thought someone had better pick up the slack...since Tony has been gone for so long.

I have limited experience with public performance. What I have been able to learn from those experiences is mostly what not to do. lol! Here are a couple experiences I had at some open mics during college.

1.) Don't get up on stage and say that certain audience members are "rude posers," even if they gave your friends a
REALLY hard time when they did a mediocre Rocky Raccoon, three performances back.
(they really were rude posers!)

2.) Don't piss off the super-talented guy that happens to be going on before you. (especially when you and your
buddy know about three songs and one of 'em is a spoken word piece 'o crap that you scribbled on a napkin the
night before @ IHOP LOL!

dekotaj

Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:52 pm

Shel My dear friend,Not to worry,in my book you got it all ready!!!

I love to watch EVERYONE here perform.I guess I just keep thinking, What performances we all would have to watch.If everyone on the site was to let us watch Them perform???????So come on folks show us your stuff.I promise we are a real good audience.

Performing is about passion for what you do.A love for what YOU create when you play.Hell and we all got that,our we would not be here.I share that passion with you ALL when I watch you perform here.

I hope the love of music fills you heart and soul for the rest of your life!!

Wishing you all the very best
Kevin

michelew

Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:20 am

Kevin - you're a sweetie. No doubt about it. And nice attitude Sir. :)

You're absolutely right, it's about loving what you do. It's one of the things that all the great performers here have in common. Not only do they have passion, but they let it shine through.

Thanks my friend. :kiss:

Shel

michelew

Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:33 am

lueders wrote:
You got another great thread going here Michele! :) You've got more creative threading ideas than a knitting circle! I guess maybe you thought someone had better pick up the slack...since Tony has been gone for so long.

I have limited experience with public performance. What I have been able to learn from those experiences is mostly what not to do. lol! Here are a couple experiences I had at some open mics during college.

1.) Don't get up on stage and say that certain audience members are "rude posers," even if they gave your friends a
REALLY hard time when they did a mediocre Rocky Raccoon, three performances back.
(they really were rude posers!)

2.) Don't piss off the super-talented guy that happens to be going on before you. (especially when you and your
buddy know about three songs and one of 'em is a spoken word piece 'o crap that you scribbled on a napkin the
night before @ IHOP LOL!
Cori, you crack me up mate!! You're one funny man. :)

Well it seems appropriate that an Aussie keep asking the head scratchers while the big green guy is on sabbatical. ... no? Although some people might be going whattah?? All discussion is good here I reckon.

So mate what do you think the X-factors are? Besides passion which you and the lovely Krista have in spades (that includes the "OMG where's my frying pan" sort of anti-passion passion :). Actual you and Krista have a winning formula, your chemistry comes into play too.

tovo

Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:46 am

This is a great thread. You have a great knack of raising terrific questions Shel and this is another.

I am not a performer either, but what I see in others that are successful at it is a certain love of the limelight. They WANT people looking at them and they WANT to be the center of attention. Several of the real good performers on this site share that trait I think. There's nothing bad about it at all....ego is NOT a dirty word.

I guess the troubled souls with talent to burn but a painful shyness end up in a bad place, think Kurt Cobain and (possibly?) Amy Winehouse. I think you have to enjoy the attention, and in addition you have to FEEL the music, lyrics or (preferably) both. You gotta live the tune. You can't be singing about losing the love of your life and smiling like you haven't a care in the World. There are professionals who sing every tune like it's an upbeat song and they leave me cold.

neverfoundthetime

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:34 am

A quick answer could also have been... wear a hat! ;-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic