OVERLOAD!

AndyT

Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:10 pm

How much can you hold before your brain goes on the fritz?

I've recently learned that a person can sit and listen to something for a long period of time but only the first 15 - 20 minutes of it actually sink in. So, I thought I'd try and experiment. I gave my students new info for 15 minutes and the next 15 we did exercises that reinforced the new info. The results were surprising in that even the ones that did not practice as much as I wanted them to, still learned faster. The ones that practiced often learned quickly and were more likely to apply the new lessons to other songs and try and combine it with other skills they had learned already.

My students range in age from 8 to 87. Age made almost no difference. The biggest factor was how much they practiced. I tell all my students do an hour a day, BUT, not all at once. Make it three 20 min sessions or four 15 min sessions. The ones that did at least one 15 min session daily learned at least twice as fast. Have a session length break between your practice sessions. Go and do something else for that time.

Questions? Comments?

sbutler

Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:40 pm

Andy, I've raised and trained bird dogs. I've also raised and trained Arabian Horses, and was told by experts of both animals, that the same applies to youngsters of both makes. So it stands to reason that we are not all that different.

Scott

thereshopeyet

Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:23 pm

Thanks

buddy

Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:40 pm

Wow Scott. we sure have some things in common. I am a horse trainer and bird dogger as well. What a small world !

Bud

willem

Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:22 am

buddy wrote:
Wow Scott. we sure have some things in common. I am a horse trainer and bird dogger as well. What a small world !

Bud

What are bird dogs,,can they fly..?

buddy

Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:31 pm

Willem, LOL. Bird dogs are dogs that you train to find, point and retrieve birds.

The dog in the picture is my 3 year old Brittany Spaniel named Chase.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic