So I responded to this ad on Craigslist...

Lavallee

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:31 am

Great story Al, I will give a try to Craig list. I had a chance to play with some jamming people. I was very low profile as they already had 2-3 guitarists playing, So I would connect and strum with the amplifier set very low, (only me could hear). It was however very helpful. Not the adrenaline type like you experience since you were actively participating, but gave a band feel that was really fun.

Is your avatar , your new guitar?, I see a strat but what brand?

Marc

AcousticAl

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:38 am

Lavallee wrote:
Great story Al, I will give a try to Craig list. I had a chance to play with some jamming people. I was very low profile as they already had 2-3 guitarists playing, So I would connect and strum with the amplifier set very low, (only me could hear). It was however very helpful. Not the adrenaline type like you experience since you were actively participating, but gave a band feel that was really fun.

Is your avatar , your new guitar?, I see a strat but what brand?

Marc
Hi Marc,

I'm sure you know that Craigslist can be a bit of a minefield though.
I should mention that this wasn't the first ad I responded to. I actually met up and played with another guy once, but the chemistry wasn't there.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

-- I just read your question about my electric.
It's actually a telecaster. Fender Modern Player Thinline Deluxe Tele.
Long name, but seems like a good guitar.
Lighter body due to the f-hole cutout.

buddy

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:50 am

Al, This is a great story and I am really glad you took the leap. I started playing out about a year or so ago and it is the best thing I ever did for my playing. I am so hooked on it that I play out once a week and I am also doing a paid gig about every other week. As you said, this really added life and motivation back to my playing. It is also surprising how hard it is at first to play with other players and a full band, but once you let yourself go, just liked you did, it becomes kind of natural. Props to you Al and I would classify you as a singer because you have such a nice voice.

Bud

AcousticAl

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:59 am

buddy wrote:
Al, This is a great story and I am really glad you took the leap. I started playing out about a year or so ago and it is the best thing I ever did for my playing. I am so hooked on it that I play out once a week and I am also doing a paid gig about every other week. As you said, this really added life and motivation back to my playing. It is also surprising how hard it is at first to play with other players and a full band, but once you let yourself go, just liked you did, it becomes kind of natural. Props to you Al and I would classify you as a singer because you have such a nice voice.

Bud

Good point about it being hard to play with other people. I'm still adjusting!
Throw an electric into the mix and I'm kind of starting over!
I haven't abandoned my acoustic(s)- but electric sure is fun!

Great to hear that you're doing paid gigs now, Buddy.
Enjoy the ride!

Catman

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:13 pm

I had my first real jam session experience a couple of weeks ago.

A local guitar dealer organizes a monthly jam session, so I went along. I knew in advance that it would be electric, with kids there to show off their chops, and I wasn't expecting much. It started off with a lot of heavy metal and Joe Satriani (some of it not bad). But towards the end when things calmed down a little I got up and played a bit. We did Blue Bossa (sort-of), and then jammed some 12-bar blues. There was some video recording, but not of my bit, and somebody told me there is a picture floating around. I took along my T-5 which did the job nicely, and was admired.

I'm still looking for some local acoustic jams.

-David

AcousticAl

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:16 pm

Catman wrote:
I had my first real jam session experience a couple of weeks ago.

A local guitar dealer organizes a monthly jam session, so I went along. I knew in advance that it would be electric, with kids there to show off their chops, and I wasn't expecting much. It started off with a lot of heavy metal and Joe Satriani (some of it not bad). But towards the end when things calmed down a little I got up and played a bit. We did Blue Bossa (sort-of), and then jammed some 12-bar blues. There was some video recording, but not of my bit, and somebody told me there is a picture floating around. I took along my T-5 which did the job nicely, and was admired.

I'm still looking for some local acoustic jams.

-David
Good to hear, David.
I find that my repertoire (up to now) tends to be an 'end of the night' thing as well.

Btw- I saw your Christmas upload and really enjoyed it.

Craig

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:04 pm

Al,
Good to hear from you and find out what you have been up to! Congratulations on taking the leap! I'm happy for you! I would assume that "Mohawk" is either the mascott or becomes the name of the band! :laugh:

Craig

daryl

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:10 pm

Very inspiring. Good to hear you found some "good chemistry". I always worry about that (walking into a situation where there is NO chemistry). How big is your set list now? Do you find remembering the songs easier (with other players) now? Any talk of doing a gig?

willem

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:38 pm

What do you get from TG lessons and use it within the band?

cosmicmechanic

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:48 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
... Still mulling what this year's resolution will be..
Maybe getting up the courage to wear leather pants while you play your electric ? :)

Strange things happen when you hook into TG ...

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic