So I responded to this ad on Craigslist...

tovo

Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:25 pm

Very interesting read Al. I knew you were up to something you have been so quiet. Like my kids, quiet usually means there's a lot going on that I don't know about. "Who dares wins" is the motto of the Special Air Service, the British (and Australian) special forces, but it does certainly apply to you also. Your courage to get yourself out there and your determination to improve will surely pay big dividends. Look forward to more from you at some point.

cosmicmechanic

Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:31 pm

Gosh Al, what an awesome story!!!! :cheer: :)

Well how great things can turn out sometimes! Am really happy for you, you don't just learn a lot when playing with others, it's also just a blast, good for you!!!! :)

Ness

tacticaltal

Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:57 pm

Wow, Al, what a great story.

I've looked into Craigslist Ads myself, but have yet to find the courage to followup. There's a lot of good players in my area, and a lot of youngins too, with whom this old man would certainly be out of place. Still, maybe I'll get up the nerve one of these days.

"Death Metal"? "ZZ Top"? Yep, those are my dreaded fears. :D I believe I'd be simply getting out of their way :laugh:

BobR

Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:51 pm

Hi Al,

That's a real cool story. I am glad you've found a good fit and are enjoying yourself. And now you've got an electric :woohoo: :woohoo:

Bob

suziko

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:46 pm

That is great, Al! Playing with someone else definitely ups the ante. Maybe you can make a video some time?

Suzi

snipe

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:49 pm

Wow,, cool story. Hope it works out the way u want it! Would like to know more about your tele? Pickups etc. I bought a tele last year and absolutely luv it. Anyway thanks for telling about your endevors.. very inspirational
Mike

AcousticAl

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:36 pm

Craig- No Mohawk in sight.. not even on any of the players!!

Daryl- My set list is different from theirs- and they have A LOT of songs they can play-- and play well! Various members have played in different bands for years. It will take time for me to catch up.
No talk of doing a gig. Just having fun.

Willem- Did you mean what songs do I try to play from TG?
Norwegian Wood, Something, Mr. Soul, Love Me Two Times, Brown Eyed Girl, to name a few.

Pierre- I've said 'Never say never' on here before.. BUT this is one instance where it's pretty safe to say..
"NEVER!"

Tony- And here I was thinking Chris thought up that saying all by himself. Fitting that it applies to Special Forces as well.

Ness- I know you've played in bands before, so you know how fun it can be.

Terry- The trick is obviously to find the right fit. A lot of the ads I saw were quite specific about who or what they were looking for.
The alternative is to post your own ad where you're specific about what you are looking for.
Re your other comment- not much death metal as of yet. As I mentioned earlier- it's an odd mix of people and tastes, but we're about the same age so we find stuff we all like.

Bob- Yes- the electric was an early Christmas present from me. To me. :)

Suzi- don't know about a vid. I'd need permission from everyone- and I'd only put it on my YouTube channel. Will see.

Mike- I don't know much (anything?) about electrics, but I'll tell you what I know..
Mahogany body, F-hole cutout, P90 pickups, maple neck.

michelew

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:12 am

Great story Al. It's very inspiring.

I really need to pluck up the courage to find people to play with too. I've been saying that for a while... I also find that 'she who dares wins' is true and its generally the things that I haven't done, but want to, that I regret the most.

So... I'll look for a way to push myself out of my comfort zone without freaking myself out completely.

Thanks for the great story.

M.

willem

Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:34 am

Yes I mend songs of course but also which skils,,strumming,pickin etc but things/skils given in the lessons,,I find it a pity that we don't have lessons for two guitars,,there are some but...and in a sort of way they gave us something to figure out a second guitar (the little triads on the top three strings) but I think we need some more explaning on that..

Willem

neverfoundthetime

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:04 am

Yes, indeed "Who dares wins" is the motto of the SAS, Special Air Service.... please excuse, I thought it was common knowledge like the Marines and "Semper Fi"! Would have been nice if I'd have thought it up first but the SAS have been around longer than I :-).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic