So I responded to this ad on Craigslist...

AcousticAl

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:30 am

I thought that would get your attention. :) I hinted at this a while back and now here's the full story..

My new years resolution last year was to get out of the house and play live with other people. Most of you would probably agree with the fact that when you play by yourself- you can be a very forgiving audience-- TOO forgiving in fact. False starts, bad tempo, skipping over and not working on the hard parts. So I wanted to shake things up a bit and see what happened..

Went on Craigslist and just typed in something like 'guitar jam, acoustic' and saw a bunch of hits. One caught my eye and was relatively close to me so I replied. The ad said 'experienced drummer and so-so guitarist looking for a singer'. Not a perfect fit- but i wanted to see where this could go. A few emails back & forth and I explained how I'm not really 'a singer'. More of a guitar player who can sing (there is a difference). I also emphasized what I was looking to accomplish-- improve my guitar skills by playing with other people. He said they were easy going and come by and give it a try, as they play every week.

So I showed up at the drummer's house a few months ago. Pulled in the driveway and see a few people standing at the side door to the garage.
One guy comes up to me and says "Are you the singer?".
"NO I'm not the singer.. I'm a guitar player who.. I'm Al."
He starts laughing and calls back to his friends, "He says he's NOT the singer!"
What have I signed up for here??

So in the garage we go.. And I wish you could have seen the look on my face as he opened the side door...

First, there was the sound insulation on the door as it opened.. Had to be about 6 inches thick!!
Then the blue/blacklight streaming out..
Inside was INSANE! Full drum kit, amps, equalizers, speakers, carpeted floor, couches, mic stands, music posters everywhere!

After picking my jaw up off the floor, I managed to sputter "WHO ARE YOU GUYS??!"

"We just like to jam, man." he says.

Well no shit, Sherlock!!!

So we sat down and had a beer. I drank mine VERY fast. Had a feeling that liquid courage would come in very handy tonight. Talked about music likes and dislikes.
Turns out the drummer was in a band many years ago. VERY good player.
The guitar player was doing ok with basic chords and some cool riffs but not really finishing anything. They needed a singer to kind of be 'the glue' for them.

They were open to anything I wanted to play. When you're playing in that environment, you gotta keep up or get out of the way!! When I started a song- i needed to play it TOP TO BOTTOM. If I stopped playing or singing, the wheels fell off.
And it was PERFECT!
I'm not saying it sounded perfect.. It was just the perfect environment for me, and just what I was looking for. Added pressure and adrenaline.. So different from playing alone in front of your computer or in the basement.

Side note here-- I don't think you're aware of where you are as a guitarist unless you do something like this.. Or at least play to be heard by someone else. I was playing things that they enjoyed, and it was stuff I didn't think was particularly good.

I've been back quite a few times.. They play every week! A few new players have shown up. Another guitarist/singer (who used to be in a death metal band??).. And a guitar and bass player that used to be in a ZZ Top cover band. Remember what i said earlier about keeping up or getting out of the way? It was more 'getting out of the way' when they first showed up.. they're DAMN good!
I'm trying to learn from them, and sometimes they'll ask me how to play something. It sounds like an odd mix of people, but somehow it works, and we find songs that everyone enjoys playing.

Another side note-- I bought an electric guitar! Very tough to hear an acoustic while 2 electrics, a bass and drums are wailing "Sharp Dressed Man" or "New Orleans Is Sinking"!!

**Edit-- for those that are interested, I've put up a clip of my playing my new tele on page 2 of this thread.

I will admit that it's not always a home run. Sometimes I'm disappointed in my playing or singing. But I am convinced that playing live with other people is how I'll get my playing to the next level.

Still mulling what this year's resolution will be..

Happy New Year everyone!!

willem

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:17 am

Great story Al,,I guess we were wondering were you bin..maybe busy with work or the family,,but no,,its music,,it can be a slave,,

Its really nice to play with others and it set your ears for listening to each other and lifting too..

Goodluck on that yourney and a very very happy and good 2013 and may all the good things happen

Willem

AcousticAl

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:25 am

willem wrote:
Great story Al,,I guess we were wondering were you bin..maybe busy with work or the family,,but no,,its music,,it can be a slave,,

Its really nice to play with others and it set your ears for listening to each other and lifting too..

Goodluck on that yourney and a very very happy and good 2013 and may all the good things happen

Willem

Hey there Willem,

Yes I have been away for a while. Still popping by the forums- but not commenting as much. Trying to dedicate more time to practice. If I only have a half hour to play or go on the forums- then playing will win out.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:30 am

Great story Al... a very courageous step to take but certainly one to expand your horizons! Good for you!

Now don't try to tell us you went through all that and there's no video..... ! :P
Proof please! :)

AcousticAl

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:34 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Great story Al... a very courageous step to take but certainly one to expand your horizons! Good for you!

Now don't try to tell us you went through all that and there's no video..... ! :P
Proof please! :)

You'll have to take my word for it for now.
Video was taken one week- but I don't think the quality was very good..
(that could mean the quality of the video or the playing.. YOU decide :) )

But seriously, I don't know if I would put anything up here. Not really why I wrote about it.
More just about the cool experience..

wrench

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:35 am

That's a great story, Al. I've thought about trying something like this, but I am terrified of one thing, and now you may know the answer.

After playing with a group, can playing solo still satisfy the musical thirst?

AcousticAl

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:40 am

Chris- one more thing that you told me a while ago has stuck with me..

"He who dares- wins!"

Great saying.

BTW- I changed my avatar to my new electric for a while.
(Can I still keep my TG name though??!)

AcousticAl

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:49 am

wrench wrote:
That's a great story, Al. I've thought about trying something like this, but I am terrified of one thing, and now you may know the answer.

After playing with a group, can playing solo still satisfy the musical thirst?

Hey Dan,

Good question. But not one that should hold you back.
Playing with others can shine a light on your weak spots.. and they might be weak spots you never knew you had.

Me as an example--
As you know, I play a lot of fingerstyle, solo stuff. Fun to play, but not conducive to group jams.
I needed (and still need) to work on is SIMPLER stuff more suited to group playing. Power chords, quick changes etc. Singing while playing is also getting better for me, and a future goal of mine is lead playing as well.

I still play my solo stuff either at the end of a jam when things are winding down or when I'm at home, and don't find it any less enjoyable.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:51 am

Yeah, you certainly won on that one Al! Putting yourself out there pays out for sure!

Now, I'm not sure I'm swallowing this "not good enough" line! This is a warts an' all proof audience.... :)

AcousticAl

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:21 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Yeah, you certainly won on that one Al! Putting yourself out there pays out for sure!

Now, I'm not sure I'm swallowing this "not good enough" line! This is a warts an' all proof audience.... :)

Check your email.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic